Samsung to buy 3% stake in Sharp for $112 million

By Jos
Mar 6, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Sharp has confirmed it will be receiving a 10.4 billion yen (around $112 million) investment from Samsung for a 3% stake in the company. The two have done business in the past but this deal will further strengthen that relationship, ...

Read more
  2. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 968   +147

This is good news and bad news.
    good because newer technologies could reach mainstream in the soonest possible time. a korean technology behemoth married to a Japanese technology giant,
    bad because market dominance almost equal greed.

in the distant past, at least in stores nearby, sony dominated the tv and other entertainment appliances market. it demanded a great premium price over its competitors.

then Samsung came as a low cost, seemingly inferior product, oftenly laughed at product exhibits. but now (or at least in the past 5 years or so in my neighborhood) Samsung overcame its bad impression and became the top dog. and still is. and has now the premium price over its closest competitions.
  3. Jay Pfoutz

Jay Pfoutz Malware Helper Posts: 4,286   +49

Samsung has had some trouble lately. I hope this investment is not a shot in the dark. Otherwise, I'll call the copycatting and reckless investments bad business moves and stare frightened at the future of the company. *nerd*
  4. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 178   +25

I thought that Apple was ordering new displays from Sharp since the Samsung-Apple lawsuit.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.