Samsung to manufacture next Google phone, the Nexus Prime?

Emil

Staff

Google's first Ice Cream Sandwich smartphone, its third Nexus device, is arguably the world's most anticipated Android phone. To add to the hype, it turns out that the handset's 720p screen will be branded as a "Super AMOLED HD" display, suggesting that Samsung will be the manufacturer, according to BGR.

Google's Nexus One, manufactured by HTC, was released running Android 2.1 (codenamed Éclair) on January 5, 2010 and set the standard for Android devices in 2010. Google's Nexus S, manufactured by Samsung, was released running Android 2.3 (codenamed Gingerbread) on December 16, 2010 and is attempting to do the same for the platform in 2011. It's a little odd that Samsung is reportedly being chosen once again by Google, not because the company makes poor products (quite the contrary) but because we would expect the search giant to continue rotating OEMs (Motorola or LG could have been next).

The current codename for the device is Prime, and it's possible that the phone will launch as the Google Nexus Prime. It's also being speculated that Google could be working with multiple carriers and multiple OEMs on their own exclusive Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) halo devices, and that they may all launch around the same time.

Google's third Nexus phone is rumored to ship around Thanksgiving, powered by an OMAP 4460 processor. There won't be physical Android menu buttons below the display — everything is said to be software-based. Other rumored specification include a 4G LTE radio, 1GB of RAM, 1080p HD video capture and playback, a 1-megapixel front-facing camera, and a 5-megapixel rear camera "delivering class-leading image quality in addition to superior low-light performance."

Android (codenamed Ice Cream Sandwich) is slated for a Q4 2011 release. The big change with Ice Cream Sandwich will be that it works on all devices. That means Google will be porting features from Android 3.x to the smartphone, including the holographic user interface, more multitasking, the new launcher, and richer widgets.

Permalink to story.

Well Samsung is switching to a laser based production method so a 1280x720 SAMOLED isn't out of the question, but those specs are way off. Why would samsung buy the processor from Ti when they make a faster in house chip?

1280x720 Super Amoled with an RGB matrix.
8MP Back Camera, 2MP front facing
1.2GHz Exynos processor(could possibly have been bumped up to 1.4)
1GB Ram
16/32GB internal storage

That makes more sense for a Samsung made nexus device.

+1 on that one Princeton, Exynos is a better choice IMO as well, and biggest advantage Samsung have is SAMOLEDs ...... a reason because of which I've stuck with GS.

Archean said:
+1 on that one Princeton, Exynos is a better choice IMO as well, and biggest advantage Samsung have is SAMOLEDs ...... a reason because of which I've stuck with GS.

Well it just makes no sense considering it would be much more cost effective to use a chip Samsung manufactures instead of one that Samsung would have to buy from another company.

The only way I could see it using a third party chip is if they went to Nvidia. Nvidia has been working closely with Google and they'd already won the place as the supported chip for the initial honeycomb release. So it wouldn't be too out there to think that Nvidia may have their KAL-EL chip in the next nexus phone.

But between you and me I'd rather take a 1.4GHz Exynos dual core with a 720p SAMOLED over a Quad core Kal-el at 1.2GHz and a 720p LCD.

I would prefer 1GHz Dual Core with SAMOLED Plus 720p display just as it may be bit more battery efficient.

Having a very fast or quad core chip in a mobile doesn't make sense for several reasons, e.g. shorter battery life, and erratic software updates (if at all). So having a quad core chip won't future proof a smartphone in anyway.

Archean said:
I would prefer 1GHz Dual Core with SAMOLED Plus 720p display just as it may be bit more battery efficient.

Having a very fast or quad core chip in a mobile doesn't make sense for several reasons, e.g. shorter battery life, and erratic software updates (if at all). So having a quad core chip won't future proof a smartphone in anyway.

Tegra 2 had the same TDP as my Hummingbird single core. I don't have any on hand but the dual core chips were actually saving battery life by either splitting up tasks, or completing them faster. It's usually referred to as race to the finish processing where you do it as fast as possible to get into idle mode faster.

Also because KAL-EL uses a similar architecture to Tegra 2 most apps built for tegra 2 will work flawlessly.

Back