Samsung TV site survey

cliffordcooley

I presume the Site Survey I encountered was a popup created from one of Samsung's SmartTV ad banners. There was a Samsung TV Ad banner present at the same time I was presented with the Site Survey.

I don't use Ad blocker browser plug-ins and don't intend to. If I encounter a site that plasters to many ads or popups for my liking, I tend to leave immediately.

I'm not sure if this is something that TechSpot has allowed for the site. I thought I share the fact that the ads don't bother me but when they create survey popups, they do tend to get under my skin.

I guess if I had a question, this is what the question would be. What is TechSpot's view on allowing ad banners to create popups for user feedback?

Generally speaking we don't allow pops for showing ads, and I haven't seen this one in particular. I know some ad agencies push for these surveys, which are not necessarily ads themselves, and still more often than not we reject them whenever it's possible.

I'd appreciate if you could include a screenshot if you see this again so I can discuss it with our sales team in better detail.

Here is another site survey that popped up.
Survey.png

I actually had to allow the pop-up before I could see it (Opera had it blocked). I usually don't get popups, especially one like I first reported where Opera pop-up blocker didn't catch it.

I use Opera but haven't seen the above ad or any pop-up suppressed. I even logged out and back in again to see if it appears, but no.

Sometimes the ads you see when you visit a site depend on the cookies you've picked up, possibly elsewhere.

Thanks for your feedback. There are certain campaigns that carry along that type of survey pop that is supposed to run rarely and be capped at one time per unique visitor ever (for less than 1% of visitors). This is commonplace everywhere on the web and has been like that for TechSpot as long as I can remember.

Having that said, if you've seen this more than once (and you don't have cookies disabled) please do reply back because then there's something wrong with the ad rotation which is managed by an agency.

Thats fine I was making sure there wasn't anything slipping through the cracks. As long as you guys know about it.

May I ask how they only post once for every visitor? Wouldn't that be a tracking mechanism that so many complain about. Come to think of it, I think I have been outspoken about it to.

In this case not really, cookies are set locally, so essentially the server would check if a cookie is present to make sure you don't see the survey pop twice.

Back