Samsung unveils dust / water resistant Galaxy S 4 Active smartphone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung galaxy s4 active android samsung smartphone galaxy s 4 active

Interested in Samsung’s new Galaxy S 4 smartphone but don’t think it’ll keep pace with your active lifestyle? No worries as Samsung has you covered with a new variant of the smartphone aptly known as the Galaxy S 4 Active.

As you might have guessed, the reincarnation is essentially a more rugged version of the original. Specifically, it carries a protection rating of IP67 which means it’s protected from dust and can withstand being submerged in water up to three feet deep for 30 minutes. It could be a nice alternative to adding a bulky aftermarket case in those respects.

With summer just around the corner, you’ll be able to use the Active in and around pools and other swimming holes with little concern. And that’s exactly how Samsung intends buyers to use it as evident by the “Aqua Mode” that increases quality and clarity for enhanced underwater pictures and video.

Samsung has also swapped out the 5-inch Super AMOLED Plus display for a 5-inch full HD TFT LCD panel. Inside is the same 1.9GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 CPU, 2GB of RAM and 2,600mAh battery. Many of the original S 4’s software features will also carry over including Smart Pause, Air View and Air Gesture.

It’ll be available in urban grey, dive blue and orange flare when it hits retail outlets in the US and Sweden later this year. No word on an exact launch date or price point at this hour.

Permalink to story.

I wonder if this was a feature they just couldn't pull off in time for the regular S4. It seems strange to sell a few variations of a flagship phone. This is the 3rd S4 variant isn't it? There's the regular one, the Nexus Version and now the Active.

Regardless... waterproofing is an awesome idea. Leave it to Samsung to include any possible feature a competitor offers.

I have been using the Casio Commando for almost two years and it is very over due to be replaced with a new model, however, no one at Verizon knows anything about the replacement for the Commando.
Now that Samsung decided to weatherproof the S4, it might be worth a look.
Keeping the specs the same is huge! Just hope it can be rooted just like my Commando to remove all the verizon bloatware.
Also the article talks about using by the pool this Summer, but it wont be available til the end of the year! What?

In the irony of today's world, even if you buy the most dust-resilient phone, in two years it will be gathering dust regardless :)

I have been using the Casio Commando for almost two years and it is very over due to be replaced with a new model, however, no one at Verizon knows anything about the replacement for the Commando.
Now that Samsung decided to weatherproof the S4, it might be worth a look.
Keeping the specs the same is huge! Just hope it can be rooted just like my Commando to remove all the verizon bloatware.
Also the article talks about using by the pool this Summer, but it wont be available til the end of the year! What?

That's true, Samsung should've shown a little more hustle to get this type of phone out before Summer.

It says in the article that the S4 is Super AMOLED Plus. Correction, the S4 is just Super AMOLED because the display is still pentile.

Either I can't read, or you can't read. This is from Samsung's press release:
"The GALAXY S4 Active will be available for purchase beginning this summer, with initial retail in the U.S. and Sweden."

Back