TechSpot

Samsung unveils dust / water resistant Galaxy S 4 Active smartphone

By Shawn Knight
Jun 5, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Interested in Samsung’s new Galaxy S 4 smartphone but don’t think it’ll keep pace with your active lifestyle? No worries as Samsung has you covered with a new variant of the smartphone aptly known as the Galaxy S 4 Active......

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,027   +913

They shouldnt have lightened up the specs. Edit: I misread.

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,128   +731

I wonder if this was a feature they just couldn't pull off in time for the regular S4. It seems strange to sell a few variations of a flagship phone. This is the 3rd S4 variant isn't it? There's the regular one, the Nexus Version and now the Active.

Regardless... waterproofing is an awesome idea. Leave it to Samsung to include any possible feature a competitor offers.

4. SexyMan

SexyMan TS Rookie Posts: 16

like what?

5. bestaudioguy

bestaudioguy TS Rookie

I have been using the Casio Commando for almost two years and it is very over due to be replaced with a new model, however, no one at Verizon knows anything about the replacement for the Commando.
    Now that Samsung decided to weatherproof the S4, it might be worth a look.
    Keeping the specs the same is huge! Just hope it can be rooted just like my Commando to remove all the verizon bloatware.
    Also the article talks about using by the pool this Summer, but it wont be available til the end of the year! What?

6. JC713

I just got confused with rumors. I remember a rumor stating the specs were lightened up. The use of a LCD over a AMOLED or IPS may be risky, but we will see how it plays out.

7. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Enthusiast Posts: 197   +27

But this was Sony's only advantage...
    GG Xperia.

8. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,930   +569

In the irony of today's world, even if you buy the most dust-resilient phone, in two years it will be gathering dust regardless :)

9. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 310   +62

That's true, Samsung should've shown a little more hustle to get this type of phone out before Summer.

10. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 519   +86

It says in the article that the S4 is Super AMOLED Plus. Correction, the S4 is just Super AMOLED because the display is still pentile.

11. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TS Booster Posts: 363   +86

Either I can't read, or you can't read. This is from Samsung's press release:
    "The GALAXY S4 Active will be available for purchase beginning this summer, with initial retail in the U.S. and Sweden."

12. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,179   +764

Hey brother, it's a dog eat dog world out there.

JC713 likes this.
  13. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,179   +764

Heh heh. What I wanted you to say was "They should lighten up on the price".:)

14. JC713

Yeah xD.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.