Samsung unveils Galaxy Tab 10.1, Galaxy S II

Emil

Staff

At the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Samsung unveiled two new Android devices: the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, running Android 3.0 (codenamed Honeycomb), and the Samsung Galaxy S II, running Android 2.3 (codenamed Gingerbread). The two have been leaked over and over for days, but now we finally have the official details.

As its name suggests, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 has a 10.1" WXGA TFT LCD display (1280x800 resolution), powered by a 1GHz dual core application processor. The device only weighs 1.23 pounds (599 grams), and though it has a SIM slot, 3.5mm jack, BlueTooth 2.1, and Wi-Fi 802.11, it uses Samsung's proprietary charging cable and doesn't have USB or HDMI ports. It also includes dual surround-sound speakers, an 8MP rear-facing camera with Auto Focus which can capture 1080p video, a 2MP front-facing camera, and will be available in 16GB or 32GB flavors. Like its predecessor, it ships with Flash 10.1.

The 10.1 will be launching in March in both Asia and Europe, with Vodafone being the first carrier to have it, but Samsung has yet to reveal it timing for a North American launch. Pricing is a similar story, though it will supposedly be "competitive."

The Galaxy S II (Model: GT-I9100) is the world's thinnest phone at 8.49mm, taking the title from the 9.2mm LG Optimus Black. The device features a 4.27-inch Super AMOLED Plus display (800x480 resolution), an 8MP primary camera with 1080p video capture, and a 2MP camera in the front, as well as integrated NFC support on some versions. It features BlueTooth 3.0+HS, HSPA+ connectivity, and will come with four new content and entertainment hubs: music, games, e-reading, and social networking. Samsung has yet to announce release date or pricing details.

"As a leader in the Android-powered tablet market, Samsung is committed to providing a variety of feature-rich, always-on devices," DJ Lee, Executive Vice President and Head of Sales & Marketing, said in a statement. "The Samsung GALAXY Tab 10.1 is a valuable addition to our expanding portfolio of smart media devices. Sporting a large 10.1 screen and dual surround-sound speakers, it enables users to enjoy multimedia to the maximum extent without having to compromise mobility."

"In 2011, we will take Samsung's leadership in Speed, Screen and Content to a whole new level," JK Shin, President and Head of Samsung's Mobile Communications Business, said in a statement. "With the GALAXY S II, Samsung wants to set the new standard of quality viewing on mobile, powerful performance, and slim and modern design. GALAXY S II is a natural and powerful evolution of GALAXY S. Building on the phenomenal success of the original Samsung GALAXY S, we are proud to unveil the ultimate smartphone. Consumers no longer have to contain themselves – the Samsung GALAXY S II allows them to design their own smart lives."

Permalink to story.

Yeah, it's really a joke to me. I really would like to get a new phone as my Hero is too slow these days, but with the way support was dropped on it a few months after I purchased it so HTC could focus on the EVO and other phones, I'm sure the same will happen again. I am not going to shell out money for something then quickly be dropped from updates by the manufacturer again. Do these companies really expect people to purchase a new phone every couple months? Good luck to people waiting on updates until they slow this crap down.

I don't really like the idea of an 8 megapixel camera in a phone, without a proper lens mor MP just equal worse picture... :(

That's one of the advantages of the iPhone. While I think Apple's support for them is too short, it's much longer than most other phones.

I am sick tired of these gadgets(including Apple products) released every few months. Most of the time, you only use one device at a time. Besides, the more you use it, the more damaging done to the brain or fingers.

I just hope it is priced more "competitively" than the Xoom. I would really like an android tablet.

Whats wrong with having a wider choice in phones, it keeps it competitive IMO. You dont have to have the latest and greatest phone on the market, its your choice whether to buy them or not

Guest said:
No Wi-Fi on the Galaxy II ????
It does it just wasn't specified in the article, I guess its just assumed these days

" it uses Samsung's proprietary charging cable "

PDMI is an ANSI/CEA standard. It was developed with input from over 50 companies. It is neither Samsung's nor proprietary. At least do a simple wiki search before making such blatantly wrong statements. Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDMI

I really dislike apple. But at least with the iphone I know the company won't stop supporting it or ship out a new device the next month. I'm really leaning towards the next iphone for when I can get my hardware upgrade.

This couldn't suck more - Samsung has dropped the ball and turned it into everything I don't like about the ipad: 10.1" size, the use of proprietary charging cable, that there is no usb or sd slot -

Big big fail here.

Princeton said:
I really dislike apple. But at least with the iphone I know the company won't stop supporting it or ship out a new device the next month. I'm really leaning towards the next iphone for when I can get my hardware upgrade.
Yeah looking closely at the iPhone 5 myself, even though i dont like Apple. Going to try out a win7 phone in the mean time, i usually buy a new phone every 6 months so the timing of the iPhone 5 works for me

aj_the_kidd said:
Princeton said:
Yeah looking closely at the iPhone 5 myself, even though i dont like Apple. Going to try out a win7 phone in the mean time, i usually buy a new phone every 6 months so the timing of the iPhone 5 works for me

EVERY 6 MONTHS? My cycle is every 1-2 years :(

Guest said:
This couldn't suck more - Samsung has dropped the ball and turned it into everything I don't like about the ipad: 10.1" size, the use of proprietary charging cable, that there is no usb or sd slot -

Big big fail here.

Technically as one guest showed us, it isn't a proprietary cable. The iphone uses what we would call a proprietary cable.

Christ. Mine is like every 6 years. I went from an LG flip phone to a Android G1 and I have no plans to upgrade for at least a few MORE years. It insane that people think they need the latest and greatest. My LG was in allot of way better than the G1 I have now. I use to have a Palm M500 to go with the LG flip phone which still to this day beats Android and iPhone devices for personal information management. I have adjusted to the G1. It does do something things better. For instance I don't have to pay for Internet from my cellular provider and I can still surf the web in most places with the wifi. Also the wifi lets me have a constant backup of my contacts and address book. I think most people don't really use a cell phone for anything important. If they did an iPhone would fail miserably.

aj_the_kidd said:
Yep i know its silly, i get crap about it all the time

What do you do with all the old phones? We have this "charity" located in my basement where we need relatively new cell phones. Why don't you send me your old phones :p

Guest said:
It insane that people think they need the latest and greatest.
Its not that i think i need the latest and greatest its because i CAN get the latest and greatest, so i do. Its my money, I've earned it, i can do i want with it, so if i want to buy a new phone it, I will.

Princeton said:
What do you do with all the old phones? We have this "charity" located in my basement where we need relatively new cell phones.
My old phones generally go to my sisters or are just lying around in my room somewhere..

Having started with a Galaxy S and seeing 'galaxical' delays in the promised update to 2.2, a GPS that barely works, an OTA update that bricked the phone requiring a return to samsung, monumental gobs of crapware that cannot be deleted without rooting ... no way in hell I'm going with samsung again on any other device (drop in a little tmobile bs and that's the whole package).

Oh, I love my Galaxy S, now with Froyo, I just wish I wasn't tied to Vodacrap for the next 19 months :-/

From the article...

"As a leader in the Android-powered tablet market, Samsung is committed to providing a variety of feature-rich, always-on devices," DJ Lee, Executive Vice President and Head of Sales & Marketing, said in a statement.

Yeah, right??? Still waiting for 2.2 to be available for installation on the Telstra network here in Australia....

Samsung a leader in Android phones - what a JOKE!!!

My Verizon Galaxy S/Froyo was promised to run Froyo 'soon' when I swapped into it from a Droid X in September and I am still waiting. The GPS performance is still abysmal even with the new OS push from January and it sometimes freezes and cannot pick up a call. And it is pretty much bone stock, i.e. not loaded with any apps of suspicious origin. I know that I can spend some time playing with it to boot Froyo on it, but that is time I do not have.

I would not recommend anyone falling for any Samsung exec BS. Examine Samsung's track record with the original Galaxy S and ask yourself why Samsung would ever change its behavior with the newer version.

As far as people complaining that a new phone gets released after they bought an older version: I hope you're not thinking that the world should stop until you are ready to upgrade and then stop again until the new multi year contract runs out.

In my case I just wish that Samsung would actually support one of their more recent products, i.e. the Verizon Galaxy S/Facinate. I am sure that I am not alone.

Princeton said:
aj_the_kidd said:
Princeton said:

EVERY 6 MONTHS? My cycle is every 1-2 years :(

At least you do it between 1-2 years, I've been averaging about 2+ years :(

Guest # 20
Having started with a Galaxy S and seeing 'galaxical' delays in the promised update to 2.2, a GPS that barely works, an OTA update that bricked the phone requiring a return to samsung, monumental gobs of crapware that cannot be deleted without rooting ... no way in hell I'm going with samsung again on any other device (drop in a little tmobile bs and that's the whole package).

I couldn't agree with you anymore about 'crapware', sad thing is I can't even root my cell due to ******* usb connection which doesn't work along with host of other issues. Had Google been bit more 'prudent' with the choice of hardware/specs of its Nexus S I would have tried going that route. Anyway, it is going to be a tie between whether I get a WP7 phone or iphone 5 (never really planned about going that way, but at least their support is better compared to all these Koreans).

I've been impatiently waiting for the next incarnation of the 7" Galaxy Tab because the only real problem i had with the first one was the somewhat clumsy software. In all other aspects i found the 7" to be a good compromise. It fits in my pocket like a pocket book, can be placed on the console of my car for navigation even made my 73+ year old mom discover and embrace the Internet. She loves the phone, because she still looks for numbers to dial. So i saved money over the last months to be prepared for what ever price tag Samsung might attach to the new device.
Now we get a 10.1" tablet that comes with - as far as i can see - no advantages over the other products on the market but with reduced functionality compared to its predecessor. I'm going to closely watch how the device evolves but based on the information in this article i can only say: What a disappointment.

Back