Samsung wins UK High Court battle for being less "cool" than the iPad

Leeky

Apple has been dealt yet another blow in its worldwide courtroom saga with Samsung, after the High Court in London ruled Samsung was not infringing Apple's iPad design because the Galaxy Tab 10 tablet wasn't as "cool" looking as the market leading iPad.

The legal battle between the two technology giants continues in numerous different countries, with lawsuits covering everything from Apple's claims that Samsung is slavishly copying its designs to Samsung's patent infringement claims against the Cupertino-based firm. This specific case centered around Apple's accusations that the South Korean electronics giant was infringing on the iPad's design with the Galaxy Tab 10 tablet.

Judge Colin Birss disagreed, however: "They do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design," and "the overall impression produced is different. They are not as cool."

The Judge does not believe that "informed" consumers would confuse the two devices and his ruling means Apple cannot block the import or sale of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10 tablet on the grounds that it too closely resembles the iPad. The South Korean firm said in a statement that it welcomed the ruling, adding, "should Apple continue to make excessive legal claims in other countries based on such generic designs, innovation in the industry could be harmed and consumer choice unduly limited."

Apple refused to give a statement for the UK case but repeated previous statements suggesting it was no coincidence Samsung's products looked like its iPad and iPhone devices. "This kind of blatant copying is wrong and, as we've said many times before, we need to protect Apple's intellectual properties when companies steal our ideas."

The US retailer has not confirmed whether it intends to appeal the High Court's latest decision, but has 21 days in which to do so.

Permalink to story.

While I agree with the ruling, the Judge has shown his ocomplete byass towards Apple product design with the "cool" statement.

Consumer: "Hi I'd like an Apple iPad"

Sales person: "Here, check out the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10"

Consumer: "Hmmm. Different name, but both are rectangular tablets. Herpaderp, I'm stupid. One part of my brain tells me that these are different products made by different companies, but another part of my brain is also telling me they look similar. I'm going to ignore the different names these tablets have, and just pick the one closest to me, which happens to the the Galaxy Tab 10. YEY, can't wait to tell everyone I have an iPad!!!!"

<comes home and opens up box>

Consumer: "Wait a second, when I boot it up it says Samsung, just like on the box. This isn't an iPad. I've been bamboozled by Samsung's doppelganger tablet. I'm gonna sue!!!!!!!"

@gwailo ^ QFT. And...oh yeah, it says SAMSUNG right across the top!

If Apple's argument made any sense every car company would be suing every other car company. It's extra dumb with the tablets. Samsung phones are cooler than iPhones, but the iPad puts all other tablets to shame so far. Apple is embarssing themselves.

So if apple is against the decision then they are basically saying:
"No, the Galaxy is cooler than the iPad, Can't you see?"

And Samsung currently is like: "Ouch, that hurt, but at least we won"

Its a pretty awesome situation

No, the Judge did not say that Galaxy Tab is not cool as IPad. He was only comparing with the design patent Apple registered. Yes he said the design patent is cool in his rulling (that does not necessarily mean that Ipad is cool). See following link specifically No 182

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Patents/2012/1882.html

If you look at the Apple patent, you would see that the patented design does not look like IPad nor Galaxy Tab. So, what Apple is saying with the patent is that they own simple form tablet. Rubbish to me.

Back