TechSpot

Samsung's first PCIe 3.0 SSD enters mass production, it's insanely fast and energy efficient

By Jos
Jan 8, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung has announced their new crazy-fast and energy efficient PCIe SSD is now in mass production. Dubbed SM951, the drive is destined to go in ultra thin and light laptops, and when matched with devices that support PCIe 3.0 it...

Read more

2. avioza

avioza TS Enthusiast Posts: 74   +23

Time to upgrade if the prices are reasonable. That is fast.

rpjkw11 likes this.
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,513   +2,056

Since when do early adopters pay reasonable prices? They may think they're getting a fair deal but in actual fact they're being scammed.

4. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 1,199   +593

Wow, that's fast. I can only wonder what kind of experience it would be to run windows off of that thing.

5. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Maniac Posts: 481   +159

Can you give more details about why you consider it "scam" for early adopters? R+D costs a lot of money and the early adopters are always a few; when there's nothing else on the market that offers what you just developed, investors can ask for a "as high as possible price" since there's no competition and have as much as possible of the investment back early.

That's the basic business principle that allowed the CDC 6600 to be sold at $8 million a piece -considered a supercomputer capable of running 10 times as fast as the other most powerful machines.

waqasr and hahahanoobs like this.
  6. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,457   +606

This is why I don't waste time putting SSD's in RAID.
    "Well Joe my PC takes 5.67 seconds to boot instead of 7.28, whoop-de-do."

A good SSD is plenty fast and this setup looks to excel in total pwnage.

7. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,912   +535

the same as an above average SSD. it will just load a bit faster and copy files a bit faster. you are still limited by the rest of the components. (especially in mobile formats)

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

OK, I don't see any reason to pay top dollar for any new tech when I can pick up a vastly improved version for a fraction of the original cost later on. I'm patient, I can wait.

rpjkw11 likes this.
  9. EEatGDL

Well, that's the reason why early adopters are so few and the big chunk of "mainstream-stage" adopters wait; that's expected. Those few who had that need beforehand and are able to pay it, will do.

I'm not an early adopter and I agree with you; but I can also see the reason of why it works that way and they take advantage of that temporary "edginess".

hahahanoobs likes this.
  10. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,155   +1,431

The same as it is now. OS itself doesn't require such speeds at all. I run Windows 8.1 on Samsung Pro 850, with i7-4770K, and everything opens instantly. Those speeds will only be of benefit under heavy load tasks, such as large file transfers, databases, video rendering, virtual machines, etc.

11. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,676   +780

I have often wondered who established the time table of trying to re-coop R&D costs within the first 3-6 months on products who's significance insures a much longer lifespan. Granted that with drug companies there are so many pitfalls it has to be a priority but in computer parts that are logically going to be out there for awhile I would certainly think it more reasonable and attractive to spread those costs out for 12-18 months.

Having just purchased my second SSD I doubt I'll be in the market for another one for a year or longer so it won't affect me particularly since all those "got to have it today" folks will have absorbed all the added costs so, in advance, thanks folks for making is much more reasonable for us retiree's!

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  12. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Can't wait for this to make it to laptops. Let's hope Apple includes it in the upcoming refresh because I am gonna be looking for a new notebook.

13. The Windows experience will probably be the same; disappointing.

14. I already have one of these hoopajoos, found it at a garage sell, and let me tell you it's not all its cracked up to be...just my 2 cents...

15. Skidmarksdeluxe

That's very true but if we all had deep pockets I think we all would be early adopters.

16. Wizwill

Wizwill TS Rookie Posts: 24   +7

Cutting edge, not bleeding edge

17. I am not an early adopter but we have to thank them. As they help bring costs down in the end.
    I dont have a problem paying top dollar for something unique when I have cash to splash.

EEatGDL likes this.
  18. EEatGDL

Then where would the 1% be? It's like that Sheldon's [Cooper] dream when he was a giant and everything was up to scale but he knew he was a giant because he was wearing underwear size 1 million.

19. Skidmarksdeluxe

Of course we need them, they're the ones that do us favours and the industry needs them as well.

20. pmcardle

pmcardle TS Enthusiast Posts: 115   +21

Typical Windows hate troll... You just have to be smarter than your PC to make it an experience!

21. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,929   +186

22. Spoiler alert on that size 1m!
    For some business the premium is worthwhile, possibly even for Pro-sumers. I languish on the trailing edge when everything is well debugged, mature and at very reasonable prices. Just teetering on 128gb vs 240gb SSD atm (for my 2500k system) . Keep on buying suckers

23. Naeem Ur rahman

Naeem Ur rahman TS Rookie

So, it is will be very pricy at the start, I will get it after a long time when it is cheaper... :D