Samsung's Galaxy S4 Zoom combines smartphone with a real camera

By Shawn Knight
Jun 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. If you’ve been looking for a reason to leave your point-and-shoot digital camera at home but haven’t been happy with the quality of smartphone cameras to date, Samsung has your number (no pun intended) with their new Galaxy S4 Zoom....

Read more
  2. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 516   +137

Can't tell if it will be used for actual pictures, or used by hipsters for food photos...
  3. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TechSpot Booster Posts: 310   +62

I like it, but I think it would still be awkward with everyone asking why I'm talking to my camera.
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,652   +507

When somebody comes saying they now offer a real product, it's like confessing they have been selling you crap up until now...
  5. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,652   +507

No, it now will be used for real pictures...
    p51d007 likes this.
  6. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,797   +882

Little internal storage for a camera. Nice...
  7. p51d007

p51d007 TechSpot Booster Posts: 303   +40

THIS is what a camera should be on a smart phone, not those tiny as* pinhole cameras that only work well in good light.
    Can't wait to hear from the "it's too big, it's too thick" crowd.
  8. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,039   +695

No kidding right?

p51d007 - Smartphone cameras have quite a strange trade off because they're thin. I don't really understand how it all works, but while reading a review on the HTC One at Anandtech it was explained how the size of the sensor in the camera has to be balanced between more mega-pixels or better low light performance. It's why the HTC One camera is 4MP but works great in dim light without a flash. The way to make a camera high megapixel AND work well in dim light is to use a bigger sensor and they don't fit in smart phones unless you're willing to deal with this huge bump on the back of your phone... like this ugly looking thing.
  9. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,797   +882

Optical zoom is not possible on the optics we have now on smartphones. That is why smartphones use digital zoom. It allows for smaller sensors, and therefore, slimmer phones.
  10. veLa

veLa TechSpot Booster Posts: 500   +76

I wonder who would actually use this.
  11. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,038   +72

veLa
    An ugly duckling, targeted as a niche market product for people with no sense of style.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.