Samsung's MacBook Air competitor gets dated and priced

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

We've seen plenty of MacBook Air competitors crop up since Apple's fall refresh, including Samsung's 9 series notebook. Unveiled at CES 2011, the ultraportable matches the MacBook Air's size and weight almost precisely, measuring from 15.9mm to 16.3mm between its thickest and thinnest points and weighing 2.89 pounds. Samsung wasn't quite ready to spill the beans on pricing and availability back in January, but nearly two months later the company has finally shared those details.

The Samsung 9 series will hit shelves in South Korea this month and elsewhere next month for the rough equivalent of $2,200 -- we hope this is an error. That fee gets you a 13-inch 1366x768 display, an Intel Core i5 processor, Intel HD graphics, 4GB of RAM, a 128GB SSD, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 3.0, USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, micro-HDMI output, a backlit keyboard and a six-cell battery. That's all crammed into a sleek duralumin chassis and the system is preloaded with Windows 7.

Permalink to story.

i wouldn't be surprised if $2200 is spot on- this thing really packs in some serious gear in a very slim chassis.
unfortunately that turns this into a dream and by the time its reasonable to buy- outdated.

I would imagine that the people who want a "slim" laptop would be more interested in the MacBook air anyway, so the 2200 price tag isn't going to sway them over to buy this laptop

Ouch, even I'd wait for a Macbook Air refresh, but it's nice to see someone else can do it... especially the backlit keyboard...

@Sarcasm and the rest of the fools who don't realize why this Samsung notebook costs so much. The Case isn't just Aluminum. It's a memory metal case alloy called "Duralumin" (look it up). It is actually a semi-flexible aluminum case capable of taking a lot more abuse than just the plain Aluminum of a Mac Book Air.

It's lighter and thinner. It also has a much beefier CPU and Graphics chip along with a larger SSD Drive that is actually about twice the quality of the generic brand in CrApple's Mac Book Air. To hell with Core 2 Duo..... lol... that's so last decade. This thing is sporting the same i5 processor as a MacBook Pro.... you fools!!!!

ViperSniper2 said:
@Sarcasm and the rest of the fools who don't realize why this Samsung notebook costs so much. The Case isn't just Aluminum. It's a memory metal case alloy called "Duralumin" (look it up). It is actually a semi-flexible aluminum case capable of taking a lot more abuse than just the plain Aluminum of a Mac Book Air.

It's lighter and thinner. It also has a much beefier CPU and Graphics chip along with a larger SSD Drive that is actually about twice the quality of the generic brand in CrApple's Mac Book Air. To hell with Core 2 Duo..... lol... that's so last decade. This thing is sporting the same i5 processor as a MacBook Pro.... you fools!!!!

The market will prove that you are a fool as people will not buy this product at this pricepoint in masses. This is almost something like the Fujitsu tablet pc which very few people purchased due to the pricepoint.

ViperSniper2 said:

that's if they're targeting this product toward the Macbook pro crowd. the fact that the article says they're targeting the Macbook air consumers, the price is completely outta wack. you'll be a foo to assume that this is a good deal to replace a mac book air.

i am no fan of Macs, but this is simple fact, marketing 101. it's simply aiming in the wrong category. people who're in the price bracket of mac book air are NOT going to buy this notebook.

Back