Samsung's MacBook Air competitor gets dated and priced

By Matthew
Feb 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. We've seen plenty of MacBook Air competitors crop up since Apple's fall refresh, including Samsung's 9 series notebook. Unveiled at CES 2011, the ultraportable matches the MacBook Air's size and weight almost precisely, measuring from 15.9mm to 16.3mm between its thickest and thinnest points and weighing 2.89 pounds. Samsung wasn't quite ready to spill the beans on pricing and availability back in January, but nearly two months later the company has finally shared those details.

Read the whole story
  2. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 342   +20

Yipes, $2200... I hate to say it, but I'd rather get a MacBook Air.
  3. ViNCiLiCiouS

ViNCiLiCiouS Newcomer, in training Posts: 31

i wouldn't be surprised if $2200 is spot on- this thing really packs in some serious gear in a very slim chassis.
    unfortunately that turns this into a dream and by the time its reasonable to buy- outdated.
  4. supertech

supertech TechSpot Member Posts: 81   +9

you can get 2 for that price and enough change for an ipod touch
  5. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

I would imagine that the people who want a "slim" laptop would be more interested in the MacBook air anyway, so the 2200 price tag isn't going to sway them over to buy this laptop
  6. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 948   +45

Ouch, even I'd wait for a Macbook Air refresh, but it's nice to see someone else can do it... especially the backlit keyboard...
  7. topcoach

topcoach Newcomer, in training Posts: 43

I think I will get a Macbook Air.
  8. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

9. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 879   +84

10. ViperSniper2

ViperSniper2 Newcomer, in training Posts: 49

@Sarcasm and the rest of the fools who don't realize why this Samsung notebook costs so much. The Case isn't just Aluminum. It's a memory metal case alloy called "Duralumin" (look it up). It is actually a semi-flexible aluminum case capable of taking a lot more abuse than just the plain Aluminum of a Mac Book Air.

It's lighter and thinner. It also has a much beefier CPU and Graphics chip along with a larger SSD Drive that is actually about twice the quality of the generic brand in CrApple's Mac Book Air. To hell with Core 2 Duo..... lol... that's so last decade. This thing is sporting the same i5 processor as a MacBook Pro.... you fools!!!!
  11. supertech

supertech TechSpot Member Posts: 81   +9

The market will prove that you are a fool as people will not buy this product at this pricepoint in masses. This is almost something like the Fujitsu tablet pc which very few people purchased due to the pricepoint.

12. howzz1854

howzz1854 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 585   +79

that's if they're targeting this product toward the Macbook pro crowd. the fact that the article says they're targeting the Macbook air consumers, the price is completely outta wack. you'll be a foo to assume that this is a good deal to replace a mac book air.

i am no fan of Macs, but this is simple fact, marketing 101. it's simply aiming in the wrong category. people who're in the price bracket of mac book air are NOT going to buy this notebook.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.