Samsung's new Galaxy Z Fold 4 is its fastest smartphone to date

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Samsung has unveiled its latest foldable flagship smartphone, the aptly named Galaxy Z Fold 4. While the rumored name change didn't pan out, the foldable does feature some other noteworthy changes over its predecessor.

The new Z Fold 4 is Samsung's most powerful smartphone to date. It packs a 4nm octa-core processor with a maximum clock speed of 3.18GHz alongside 12GB of memory and up to 1TB of UFS 3.1 local storage depending on which configuration you opt for.

The Fold series is and has always been all about the displays. This time around, the fully unfolded screen is a 7.6-inch QXGA+ Dynamic AMOLED 2X panel with a 21.6:18 aspect ratio operating at a resolution of 2,176 x 1,812 (374 PPI). It's HDR10+ certified and boasts an adaptive refresh rate (1-120Hz).

The outer cover screen, meanwhile, measures 6.2 inches diagonally. It also utilizes a Dynamic AMOLED 2X display with a resolution of 2,316 x 904 (23.1:9 aspect ratio, 402 PPI) and an adaptive refresh rate between 48-120Hz.

Samsung has enhanced the durability of the Fold as well, with aluminum frames and hinge cover as well as Corning Gorilla Glass Victus+ on the cover screen and rear glass. The main screen now features an optimized layer structure to reduce damage from external shock. Furthermore, the handset carries an IPX8 water resistance rating.

Samsung's latest is also rife with cameras. There's a 10-megapixel cover camera with f/2.2 aperture and an 85-degree field of view as well as a 4-megapixel "front-facing" under display camera with f/1.8 aperture and 80-degree field of view. Around back, you will find a triple camera array consisting of a 12-megapixel ultra-wide with 123-degree field of view and f/2.2 aperture, a 50-megapixel shooter with f/1.8 aperture and 85-degree FOV and a 10-megapixel telephoto with f/2.4 aperture and 36-degree field of view.

A 4,400mAh battery supports fast charging and is able to supply a 50 percent charge in around half an hour with a 25W adapter. The handset also supports wireless power sharing, so you can wireless share juice with a compatible device in a pinch.

The Z Fold 4 will be the first device to ship with Android 12L, a new version of Google's mobile OS for large-screen devices. As you'd expect, it supports all of the latest communications technologies including 5G, Wi-Fi 6E, 802-11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax and Bluetooth v5.2, among others.

Samsung's Z Fold 4 is being offered in your choice of black, beige, green and burgundy. It's available to pre-order from today ahead of a planned August 26 launch in select countries. Pricing starts at an eye-watering $1,799 before any trade-ins or carrier promotions and scales up to $2,159.99 for a model with 1TB of local storage.

Notably, those who pre-order the handset will receive a free year of Samsung Care+, which affords protection against drops or cracked screens.

Permalink to story.

I tried the bigger one, but Android operating system is just freaking mess to deal with. So I returned it. If this had IOS on it, it would be amazing. The hardware is great.

I wish we'd get better front cameras on flagships. We've had 3/4MP for what, a decade now?
What?
My old OnePlus 7 Pro had a 16 megapixel front facing camera.
My new Pixel 6 Pro has a 11 megapixel front facing camera.

Even my old old Sony Xperia XZ Premium had a 13 megapixel front facing camera.

Or do you only consider Samsung phones as "Flagships"?

High price aside, gotta give credit to Samsung for sticking with foldables and making them bit more tolerable.
If it was Google the project would have been abandoned ages ago.

I tried the bigger one, but Android operating system is just freaking mess to deal with. So I returned it. If this had IOS on it, it would be amazing. The hardware is great.

You clearly never touched or used a flagship Android device at least on the last 8 years. So your comment is just nonsense. Moreover, Android "eats" iOS just on about everything, being more flexible, customizable, usable as a PC and as smooth as iOS. Only apps are not as polished as those from iOS, specially games, set that aside, there is not even a discussion.

After a lot of years without buying an iPhone, I was between the iPhone 13 pro max and the S22 Ultra: I went to a store and start playing with one 13 pro max to find out that iOS is almost the same as many years ago, finding almost the same limitations that made me change to android. It is like Windows vs MacOS: with W10 and even more with W11, windows is evolving much more than MacOS, which is just a mess. I have a Mac Mini M1 with the latest os and is painful to work with, but I keep it because the multimedia editing capabilities are very strong.

Isn't the new thing always the best or fastest? sweet jesus the threshold to impress people is buried somewhere, they could release the fold 3 again with just a new color and tech sites would pat them on the back til they die at this rate.

oh boy! ANOTHER new camera, gotta get dem MEgApixELs, so you can snap dark af shots of your lunch I guess,

You clearly never touched or used a flagship Android device at least on the last 8 years. So your comment is just nonsense. Moreover, Android "eats" iOS just on about everything, being more flexible, customizable, usable as a PC and as smooth as iOS. Only apps are not as polished as those from iOS, specially games, set that aside, there is not even a discussion.

After a lot of years without buying an iPhone, I was between the iPhone 13 pro max and the S22 Ultra: I went to a store and start playing with one 13 pro max to find out that iOS is almost the same as many years ago, finding almost the same limitations that made me change to android. It is like Windows vs MacOS: with W10 and even more with W11, windows is evolving much more than MacOS, which is just a mess. I have a Mac Mini M1 with the latest os and is painful to work with, but I keep it because the multimedia editing capabilities are very strong.
This is incorrect. Always have to go into android settings about app permissions, running apps, etc. I can't tell what is ok to keep running and what isn't. It's a total nightmare coming from IOS.

This is incorrect. Always have to go into android settings about app permissions, running apps, etc. I can't tell what is ok to keep running and what isn't. It's a total nightmare coming from IOS.
Oh yeah, and iOS settings is soo much better...

(That was sarcasm btw, I own both and can confidently say iOS's settings menu is BY FAR the worse layout out of the two).

Again, one more point that you know nothing about it

1) you have to go nowhere, if an app for the first time needs permission to use camera, you are asked if you allow it and if permanently. You don't go anywhere (unless you want to revoke any already given). That happens on iOS also.

2) running apps? What? Are you talking about android 2 or Android 12? If you don't go anywhere the management just happens on the background. You just have to use the phone.

My father is a very simple person for electronics and uses an android phone since android 5; now it's on an S8 and has no idea what you are talking about 😀

In another few years this will be the affordable standard phone/tablet/computer replacement and then I will get one, but first, those who have money will be the ones to impress their friends and pave the way.

Again, one more point that you know nothing about it

1) you have to go nowhere, if an app for the first time needs permission to use camera, you are asked if you allow it and if permanently. You don't go anywhere (unless you want to revoke any already given). That happens on iOS also.

2) running apps? What? Are you talking about android 2 or Android 12? If you don't go anywhere the management just happens on the background. You just have to use the phone.

My father is a very simple person for electronics and uses an android phone since android 5; now it's on an S8 and has no idea what you are talking about 😀
You are partially right. I've been on IOS for well over 15 years. When I go to Android, it's like trying to install and use Linux after being on WinBlows for the past 20 years.

But when it comes to technology, I'm well versed. I have an idea of what I'm talking about. Ask anyone who has been on IOS for a very long time and no other phone OS, they all find Android very confusing and eventually give up.

While there is malware for most every OS, IOS is the most secure because of how it's locked down. Best for families/kids. You basically set it up and forget it.

But when it comes to technology, I'm well versed. I have an idea of what I'm talking about. Ask anyone who has been on IOS for a very long time and no other phone OS, they all find Android very confusing and eventually give up.
I have been saying years using Apple products make people more stupid. That is exactly what I have meant. Apple users are used not to adjust anything, just do single thing that is possible. When given more choices for those people, you can expect what happens then. I doubt I have to prove that using more simplified things make people more stupid. That's why older people need to train brains.

Just like using mouse with one button for years. After that mouse with Two buttons is something unbelievable. Add scroll wheel ...

While there is malware for most every OS, IOS is the most secure because of how it's locked down. Best for families/kids. You basically set it up and forget it.
You cannot do this on Android because of what? I have installed many Android devices for not so tech savvy people. No one has asked me anything. Strange, isn't it?

Ask anyone who has been on IOS for a very long time and no other phone OS, they all find Android very confusing and eventually give up.

- you're right, if you come from an OS that basically just allows you to interact with the app and little more, when you change to a phone that allow you much more, you will be confused. Apple will come there on iOS 25 or so, so that you adapt at your speed

- android (at least the one from Samsung) allow you since many years ago, not only to adjust for kids but the level of protection

Last edited:
- you're right, if you come from an OS that basically just allows you to interact with the app and little more, when you change to a phone that allow you much more, you will be confused. Apple will come there on iOS 25 or so, so that you adapt at your speed

- android (at least the one from Samsung) allow you since many years ago, not only to adjust for kids but the level of protection
At least you aren’t wrong. Lol. But I like it locked down. ;)

Back