SanDisk unveils Ultra SSD range for notebooks and desktops

Jos

SanDisk has launched a new range of solid-state drives, which the company is specifically marketing as a cost effective solution for users on a budget who would be better off upgrading their current machine than purchasing a new one. The SanDisk Ultra SSD family is available in 60GB, 120GB and 240GB sizes with MSRPs of $130, $220 and $450, respectively.

With those prices SanDisk isn't really breaking any affordability records, but Newegg.com is already selling the 120GB variant some $40 cheaper than its suggested retail price, making it a more competitive alternative next to the likes of OCZ's last-generation Vertex 2 and Agility 2. In terms of performance SanDisk promises 280MB/s reads coupled with 270MB/s write speeds over the SATA II (3Gbps) interface.

The Ultra SSD is based on multi-level cell (MLC) NAND flash memory and has a mean time between failure (MTBF) rate of up to one million hours. SanDisk is also touting the drive's low power consumption, though they didn't share any specifics, nor do they mention which SSD controller is powering these devices.

In any case, although the Ultra SSD is certainly not the fastest solid-state drive out there and it doesn't carry the latest SATA III (6Gbps) interface, it could be worthy contender in the budget segment if SanDisk can keep the prices down.

Permalink to story.

I think I'll get an SSD when I can buy at least 250 GB for $250. I know the speed gains are huge but I still think they are a little bit too expensive.

a little? No mames its a leg and an eye with those prices...wat the hell are they thinking?

I remember reading a few months ago that 2012 would signifcantly increase the adoption of SSDs and that their prices would be more consumer friendly. Unfortunately, I see very little, if any, indication that the industry is heading in that direction :(

treeski said:
I remember reading a few months ago that 2012 would signifcantly increase the adoption of SSDs and that their prices would be more consumer friendly. Unfortunately, I see very little, if any, indication that the industry is heading in that direction :(

Yeah, the only SSDs that I see under a $100 are about 60 GB or less.

The only reason I bought one was a good Shell Shocker deal on a 90GB Vertex 2, and Newegg gave me some kind of loyalty discount of 20%, so I ended up paying about $90 for the drive. That still required me to put all 250 GB of my Steam games onto another drive.

There are definite speed advantages during boot up, but having restored my CPU back to 2.66 from 3.8, I can say that some of the apparent speed advantages I had with the SSD have gone away with the slower CPU speed.

And considering that I put my computer to sleep 90% of the time rather than shutting it down, the quick boot times are negligible. I don't regret my purchase, but at the same time, I don't see it as a must have considering the price you'd have to pay to get any decent amount of storage on it.

It has been slow but we're getting closer to the 1:1 mark. You can pick up the Kingston SSDNow V+100 96GB which is an average SSD that works well @ $1.35/GB on Newegg.

mario said:
I think I'll get an SSD when I can buy at least 250 GB for $250. I know the speed gains are huge but I still think they are a little bit too expensive.
$1 per GB for a SSD, I have been saying for a year. Platter drives are roughly $1 per 10GB and are plenty fast enough while waiting on the price drop.

£10 an inch (for TV's, you dirty minded pervert) and £1 per Gb for SSD. Till then 2 disks raided and Sleep , not bOot.

Back