SanDisk unveils Ultra SSD range for notebooks and desktops

By Jos
Jul 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. SanDisk has launched a new range of solid-state drives, which the company is specifically marketing as a cost effective solution for users on a budget who would be better off…

Read the whole story
  2. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

I think I'll get an SSD when I can buy at least 250 GB for $250. I know the speed gains are huge but I still think they are a little bit too expensive.
  3. a little? No mames its a leg and an eye with those prices...wat the hell are they thinking?
  4. dedparrot

dedparrot TS Rookie Posts: 67

i'm waiting for 250 gigabytes from 100 pounds.

seems like 5 years away.
  5. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 954   +193

I remember reading a few months ago that 2012 would signifcantly increase the adoption of SSDs and that their prices would be more consumer friendly. Unfortunately, I see very little, if any, indication that the industry is heading in that direction :(
  6. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Yeah, the only SSDs that I see under a $100 are about 60 GB or less.

The only reason I bought one was a good Shell Shocker deal on a 90GB Vertex 2, and Newegg gave me some kind of loyalty discount of 20%, so I ended up paying about $90 for the drive. That still required me to put all 250 GB of my Steam games onto another drive.

There are definite speed advantages during boot up, but having restored my CPU back to 2.66 from 3.8, I can say that some of the apparent speed advantages I had with the SSD have gone away with the slower CPU speed.

And considering that I put my computer to sleep 90% of the time rather than shutting it down, the quick boot times are negligible. I don't regret my purchase, but at the same time, I don't see it as a must have considering the price you'd have to pay to get any decent amount of storage on it.
  7. It has been slow but we're getting closer to the 1:1 mark. You can pick up the Kingston SSDNow V+100 96GB which is an average SSD that works well @ $1.35/GB on Newegg.
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

$1 per GB for a SSD, I have been saying for a year. Platter drives are roughly $1 per 10GB and are plenty fast enough while waiting on the price drop.
  9. £10 an inch (for TV's, you dirty minded pervert) and £1 per Gb for SSD. Till then 2 disks raided and Sleep , not bOot.