TechSpot

Sandy Bridge IGP update boosts SC2 performance by 37%, more

By Matthew
Sep 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Although Intel's Sandy Bridge architecture drastically improved the company's previous integrated graphics solutions, the HD 2000 and 3000 are far from ideal when playing modern games. In our review, theā€¦

Read the whole story

2. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

Good to see them making improvments. All of this should feed into the Ivy Bridge Graphics chips as well, which look a bit more promissing for low end graphics card replacement.

3. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +20

So that's about a 6fps boost for Bad Company 2. Pretty good!

4. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Is anyone else put off by having integrated video in your CPU? It's a total waste if you want to use good video, yet Intel packs graphics into even their highest end CPUs.

I want more cores or integrate other motherboard components chips in it. I have my own video card, thanks.

5. Puiu

Puiu TS Addict Posts: 1,064   +98

It just goes to show how bad their drivers are and just how much they can still optimize them. Once a new series of IGP is available they just forget about the rest and 90% of the updates are just for the new ones.

6. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

People who buy a i7-2600K are not gonna be interested in the IGP in the slightest, especially if it only barely plays games at low quality settings. Why not just make the CPU cheaper and let the GPU do the things which a GPU is supposed to do?

7. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,498   +306

I don't understand why they can't release a series of CPU's that do not have the IGP in there so they can lower the price? And I would assume the CPU would run ever so slightly cooler as well since the IGP won't be there.

As slh28 said above me, if you have purchased the i7-2600k your not gunna want the IGP!

8. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

I'm okay with it since I use my laptop for the basics but I still would like a decent graphics solution in there that doesn't murder my battery. Yeah sure I can do Nvidia's or AMD's switchable graphics but those aren't perfect and few and far in between.

Also, if you guys remember, Intel continues to release driver updates like 2 years later for their IGP's. Heh. Expect improvements...much later.

9. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

Impressive performance gains, percentage wise, for a driver update but I suspect that the Sandy Bridge IGP will still not be able to generate playable frame rates for the majority of contemporary PC games. I would also think that most PC games today were never designed to be played on systems with integrated graphics in the first place.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.