TechSpot

Santa is here and I need help

By RiSki
Dec 24, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas to all,

After 10 years, Santa IS coming to my house. 10 years ago Santa brought me a new motherboard for Christmas and I assembled my XP Pro box (as shown in my Profile). And I know for a fact He will repeat his gift giving this Christmas...cause I just wrapped it :)

I hope this is the beginning of your Holiday spirit of giving your much needed advice and it continues until my new Win 7 PC is running. To start it off, I have assembled a list of components for this new box and wish to get as much comment and criticism as possible. I'm a Geek in the making, so I still look for answers.

Here's my list to start:

Processor: Intel i7 875K
    Heatsink: Thermalright Cogage True Spirit
    Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E Pro (Thank you Santa)
    Power Supply: Corsair AX850 or AX750
    Memory: Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 (for starters)
    Videocard: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
    Soundcard: Onboard for now
    Speakers: Old Klipsh 2.1
    Hard Disks: WD Caviar Black 1 TB Sata 6GB/s (to start)
    Optical Disk (Blu-Ray): Lite-On iHBS212 12X or LG WH10LS30K 10X (future)
    Opticak Disk (DVD): Lite-On iHAS624 or Optiarc AD-7260S
    Case: Corsair 600T
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (Family Pack) 64 bit and
    Windows XP Professional SP3 (dual boot or virtual drive?)

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and I welcome your thoughts and experience,

RiSki

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,462   +229

As long as you are buying a 6GB/s hard drive, you might as well add a 6GB/s SATA cable too. I know the motherboard comes with a couple of SATA cables but it's not clear to me whether they're SATA II or III.

3. RiSki

RiSki TS Rookie Topic Starter

Nice catch mailpup. I'll add a couple to my shopping list as I go along here.

This is why I head for the forums for any work I perform. Seems like the motherboards have advanced a tad in the last 10 years :confused:

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,640   +322

Just looked at your current system, nice mobo :) Onboard sound has advanced a lot in the last 10 years too, so I don't think you'll need to upgrade that real fast.

I think you'll like 7 well enough that you won't need to set up a dual boot with XP. I'd run XP in a VM, you'll have enough power with that hardware that it isn't going to slow you down in 7. Although I didn't see how much RAM you are getting. If you are just keeping XP around for some crazy program that won't run in 7, then I think you could probably get by giving the VM like 256MB of RAM and only installing XP without service packs - that is, if you are real limited in the amount of RAM you are going to start off with in that system.

I think cheap (low price) dvd drives now don't really matter, so either of your choices will be fine. I don't know a whole lot about the other stuff so I'll let others comment on that.

5. RiSki

Your comments are very welcome SNGX1275 cause I didn't get into any reasoning. Didn't want to come of dumber than I am :haha:

I was tossed on which way to go with XP Pro without ever running anything in a VM before. I have dual booted and that was easy enough, but the virtual world has come a long way too. I think Virtual Box would be my starting point into this realm. I'm keeping XP alive mainly for an Epson printer that doesn't have 64 bit drivers, etc. And I still have 2 unused disks I've never installed.

As far as memory, I plan to start with 2-2 GB sticks and leave some room for 2 more. Not sure that the memory will have clearance with the CPU heatsink if I populate all 4 slots. In my research I read a couple times about memory clearance issues and that was the reason for picking the heatsink/fan I selected.

Used to stay in touch more when I was the tech person for my wife and 2 daughters. After buying them all Macs 2 years ago, I don't have virus and malware problems to speak of. Still keep an older IBM Thinkpad around updated with XP just in case one of the girls needs a backup in college...so far so good. Dangit, can't find any wood to knock on :rolleyes:

Thanks again for filling in the blanks.

6. RiSki

One issue that has me flipping a coin is the power supply size, 750 or 850?

I can almost bet I'll never go with a second video card, but could add other hardware in the future. Guess it shows how I keep my PC around for awhile :(

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.