TechSpot

Sapphire Radeon 9550 256MB driver issues

By Montanaman
May 18, 2009
  1. So...
    I have this computer that is nothing special. Actually, its a piece of crap. Its a couple years old and definitely has a lot of mileage on it.
    I like to play games on here, because as you may see, I'm only 15
    Recently I downloaded a GameCube emulator that would allow me to play GameCube games on my computer.
    The problem is that when I tried to play it, it said my video card wasn't strong enough. So I checked the inside of the computer and found that the card was an on-board one which obviously wouldn't cut it. I found this Sapphire Radeon 9550 256MB card in another (broken) computer and took that one but I cant get it to work because I cant find the drivers. I dont have a disk or anything that goes with it, just the actual card.
    Does anyone know a place where I can find the drivers for this card?
    Or know other ways to make it work?

Thanks tons

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,213   +230

Ok Montanaman,
    is this Sapphire card AGP or PCI? Do you live in Montana? I do :cool: Have you checked the Sapphire support website for a video driver?

3. Tha General

Tha General TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106

It seems he has the AGP version, there is no pci or pcie version.

If you are trying to play gamecube on the pc, you will need a much better card then the 9550. Also as for drivers, there doesn't seem to be any XP drivers, only windows98se drivers.

Here is some agp cards
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE

Unless you are saving up to buy a new rig

4. Montanaman

Montanaman TS Member Topic Starter

Yeah =\
    The website had nothing.
    And I figured I'd need a better one, but its still better than before...
    I guess Ill need a new rig :S
    Thanks a bunch! :)

5. Tha General

Tha General TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106

If you have the money just buy a prebuilt or if want to build, i guess thats cool. Make sure you get something with full x16 or 2.0 pcie slots.

peace

6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,902   +338

Since you already have the Radeon 9550, you might as well try it out while you decide about getting a new better one. A few years ago I built a budget PC and installed a Radeon 9550 AGP so there are definitely drivers for it. Try here: ATI/AMD.

7. Montanaman

Montanaman TS Member Topic Starter

Awesome, Mailpup. I went to that site and got exactly what I needed. The card works perfect. I also got my speakers working! :D

8. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,902   +338

Great! Thanks for the feedback.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.