SAS Log attached

Status
Not open for further replies.

spk1973

This is for MFlynn:

Mike,
I completely understand how email wasn't gonna work.

Attached please find latest SAS log.
MBAM scan was still running when I left the shop.
When it's completed I will post the log.
I will also include the HJT log while I am there.
I will not be able to work extensively on this over the weekend, but the shop is close by (a few miles) so I don't mind going down to set stuff up and then returning to check up on it and repost. But you offered a suggestion that might be ideal by bringing the machine w/o peripherals home and hooking it up here. Either way, I do want to keep working on this over the weekend to some degree.
See? You haven't even done anything yet, and you're already being helpful ;-)
Thanks,
-Shawn

Attachments

• SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 02-13-2009 - 14-43-03.log
    3.6 KB · Views: 5
OK Shawn

Use your other thread and get the SDFix and ComboFix logs.

And a new HJT log afterwards.

Mike

OK Shawn

Do post #19 (temp and registry cleanups)

reboot

Then do the below

Clean and tweak services

In services stop and disable all of the below just to get them out of the way for now for trouble shooting purposes.

Nothing is un-installed or deleted only disabled from running!

They can be put back anytime later but I would not, as none of them are needed by most home users and very few business users. Basically stuff M$ thought you should have.

Disabled uses no memory (RAM) and no CPU cycles.
Manual uses the RAM but a small amount of CPU.
Auto and not started they use even more RAM and CPU.
Auto and started even more RAM and CPU ..

Now in this case we disabling for trouble shooting purposes. But when we finish if you leave them all off until it is noticed that you need one (not likely for 99%) then it can be enabled.

Leaving these all off, then becomes a performance tweak/boost as they free some RAM and CPU cycles! Special note. If you are going to pick and choose then be aware that the small amount of RAM and CPU cycles of each one individually is not significant but as a group it is! So if you need most of them (or just think you do because you don't) then just as well enable them all)!

Distributed Link Tracking Client
Distributed Transaction Coordinator
DNS Client
Fast User switching
Health Key and Certificate Management Service
Indexing service
Messenger
Net logon
Net.TCP Port Sharing
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
IPsec services
QoS RSVP
Remote Registry
Uninterruptable power supply
Universal Plug and play
Web Client
Windows media player Network Sharing

IF you are using a wired network card and "NOT" using wireless on this computer then you can
also disable

Wireless Zero configuration

Wireless Zero configuration is only used on computers with a wireless NIC like a Laptop. Do not disable Wireless Zero configuration on a Laptop. Has nothing to do with other wireless hardware like wireless routers etc.

In short if this computer has a CAT 5 or 6 cable and no ability to connect wirelessly if that cable is unplugged, then you can disable Wireless Zero configuration.

This is not to be confused with Wired Auto Config do not disable that!

The lastly reboot once again and do the below

Post #17 in your other post DAF!

Mike

MIke,
I have attached the latest HJT log.
Was there supposed to be a log for DAF as well?
Still running very slow, especially at startup.
Thanks,
-Shawn

I re-ran DAF and saved a log file.
Please find it attached here, as well as the reset interface log.

I should point out a couple of things:

This machine is used for very light office work, surfing the web and connecting to another machine via LAN sharing an inventory database. That's it. I really need this thing to just run quickly. So, if there are any other services you feel could be safely disabled for the sake of optimizing performance, please let me know.

There is a Windows Installer that pops up occasionally trying to install HP Product Assistant. When you cancel the install it immediately pops back up two more times, and then it goes away. There must be a lot of MS crap on this thing that I think is entirely unnecessary.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to hearing from you.
-Shawn

OK download Startup Control panel http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Use it to remove useless startups like Realplayer facebook.

Go thu Add/Remove Programs and uninstall all useless unused old programs they don't need or use. Check with them or if they don't know check with me.

The biggest speedup would be to uninstall Norton/Symantec and go with Avira (from 8 Steps).

Norton is hard to completely eradicate even after its uninstalled, so if you do decided to uninstall then first do all uninstalls related to Norton and Symantec in Add remove programs including Live Update.

Reboot and download and run the following.

http://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html use only after the above

SymRegFix.exe http://solutions.symantec.com/sdcco...sprt_cid=b32555cd-1b26-4041-abac-882faf8d365f

SYMMSICLEANUP.reg ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SYMMSICLEANUP.reg just dbl click it and merge/add to registry.

RnisUPG.exe http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...56ede00518d9d?OpenDocument&seg=ag&lg=en&ct=us

Decide what you want to do and either proceed or get back with questions.

If you uninstall reboot before installing Avira

Mike

Mike,
Well, I decided to uninstall Norton. It just seemed like it was the culprit more than anything else.
I'm typing this message from the computer right now. It runs nice and fast, I think as fast as this thing can (it's a Dimension 4700).
I've installed Avira as the new virus-protection, and it seems to run without putting as much strain on the cpu as Norton did.
I removed a bunch of programs and will remove some more once I sit down with the SIL and go through them to see which ones she uses.
I cannot possibly thank you enough for your help. You ROCK!!!
Thanks again,
-Shawn

Ok you should do a windows (set advanced to search System, Hidden and subfolders) disk search for Norton*.* and symantec*.*

Delete all found.

Download Regseeker http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
Use its Find in registry and search for Norton and delete all found the for symantec and delete all found. (no wildcards *.* in regseeker.

You will be surprised taht all you did to remove norton what is still left.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another special cleanup, you can do this on your computer also.

Autoruns/Runscanner cleanup

Make sure hidden files and folders are shown. Open Windows Explorer click Tools or View and then Folder Options-View.

Choose Show hidden files and folders, uncheck Hide protected operating system files and click OK.

Download install and run AutoRuns http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Run it let it scan, then when it says ready at bottom left corner, make sure the EVERYTHING Tab is selected and then click File at top and then Find.

Type in the find box file not found and hit enter and delete all lines that have file not found.

When you reach the bottom the go back to top and click the first entry under The Everything Tab (to begin the search from that point) and search again in case any were missed.

This is a bunch of old stuff that M$ thought you might or would need that no longer exist, or for computers that are assumed to have SCSI or AMD processors but do not, or that you have Intel but do not!

After the file not found search scroll back to the top and highlight the very first entry so you are searching from the top and click Find and search for anything you want, if needed.

Then look carefully through all the Everything entries and delete anything that you may have had but uninstalled and thought were gone. If you are sure delete these also.

Next

Then get install and run:
RunScanner http://www.runscanner.net/download.aspx

Click Scan computer
Double click all Red lines to select, then click Item fixer and remove them.

Then click Extra stuff again select all Red lines. Then click back to Malware hunting and Click the Item fixer again and remove these.

Same as already said on AutoRuns stuff that was assumed to be need but you do not have.

None of these items can run as the file is missing so most of the improvement you may see comes as a quicker startup as windows no longer searches or tries to load some of these. But some have noticed a faster shutdown also.

Reboot and recheck with both AutoRuns and RunScanner.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back