SATA and IDE Extremely Slow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I hope i can get a help please
I have an Intel D865PERL MB with Intel 3.2GHz CPU with an 80GB IDE drive
I recently bought a Maxtori Dameonmax20 160GB SATA Drive
I used Acronus Tru Image 10 to clone the IDE to SATA. It did very well. I did not have any problem adding the SATA using Acronus to WinXP.
BUT, when I run the SATA alone, it works ok although the speed did not make a big difference comparing to the IDE however, when I connect the old IDE as Master or Slave, primary or secondary, with SATA on 1.5GB/s or 3GB/s
The system goes extremely slow and windows takes ages to boot

Any hint please?

Thanks

Believe it or not......

The SATA may not be much faster than pata, since the newer PATA interfaces are almost as fast as Sata 1, (ATA 133/ SATA 150).
Do you still have the OS on the first drive?

Yes it was still there but I did a quick format to use it for something else, and now new data is there.
I still cant figure out where is the issue

If I'm correct IDE HDDs arent really that much faster than there SATA counterparts. Thats why I still have an IDE HDD. And I have a pretty fast system. The problem may be that there is some other bottleneck.

By the way. The SATA Drive came with a Jumper for 1.5GB/s Limit. Shall I keep it or remove it? If removed they say you get 3GB/s. I could not see on Intel website if the D865PERL support that speed or not!

Well No You Don't.....

Those Sata numbers are only potential electronic bandwidth specs. The best drives will write about 60 MBs/sec., far below the potential. They got ya with the advertising though, didn't they. Is there an optical drive on the IDE buss too?

If you mean by optical Drive a DVD writer then yes. But even though I disconnected it, the problem remains.
If I connect the IDE as single/master on IDE cntlr and the SATA as single/master on SATA cntlr alone and nothing else, the system goes very very slow. Once I disconnect the IDE Drive the system is fine. I tried another IDE drive, the same problem!

No Probably Not.....

The Intel 8xx series boards are not likely SATA 2 capable. However most Intel boards are cable select. Where are we with that? Intel boards run SATA drives as IDE unless RAID is installed. You may be confusing the issue with 2 different types of drive interface. What's the boot order?

I don't think i can make Raid with Sata and IDE.
The boot order is Optical Drive then Sata.
No floppy and IDE is not included in the boot sequence.
I formated the IDE Drive completely, tried another one, use jumpers to make slave... Nothing seems to be helping!
I cannot find one single logic sense why should the SATA perform 10 times less only if a fully formated (empty) IDE HDD is connected. Could there be a jumper on the board itself that needs to be used?... This is getting really irritating. I cannot afford buying another SATA instead of the old IDE and I do need another drive installed. :(

chadycom said:
I don't think i can make Raid with Sata and IDE.
The boot order is Optical Drive then Sata.
:(

I wasn't suggesting that you could (or should) install RAID.
If you check you system info, you'll probably find your new drive listed as either an IDE or SCSI device. The jumpers on your IDE HDD should probably be set to the cable select position, but it must be in the master position on the IDE cable, (furthest from the main board). The only other thing that springs to mind is that sometimes the master boot record is not wiped in a simple reformat. If these conditions have been met, I'm not sure where to go next. I haven't experienced any jumpers on Intel boards other that BIOS reset/maintenance. I don't know if you have the manual to this board (yet or still) so I'm including the direct download page: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845bg/sb/cs-013122.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back