SATA AND IDE, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a WD HD on IDE and i'm trying to also install a Samsung on SATA. When I try to install the drive it says that I require some sort of software that didn't come with the drive from memory express. I've been told that the computer is looking for the sata drivers for my motherboard (Gigabyte KGNS PRO). I tried getting the drivers from www.giga-byte.com but there's 5 drivers to choose from and i don't know which ones to use. I've tried several and had no luck. ALSO, i dont' have a floppy drive right now. Does this mean i'm completely unable to install the drivers. Can someone please help? Is there something i need to change in my BIOS?

Thanks so much

so you have a ide drive plugged into the primary ide on your motherboard, and a sata drive plugged into a sata port on your motherboard?

there is usually an option in the bios to enable/disable sata.

if you know your motherboards model number, find the coresponding drivers,

i dont see a KGNS pro option on that site. do u have sata raid, or just sata? as it appears that its the same driver for all thier boards.

Which SATA controller your motherboard uses can also usually be seen during the boot process, especially if it is RAID capable as a RAID utility screen will show. You can use this boot info to get the correct drivers for your SATA. If you can download and run the file(s), then you do not need a floppy drive, unless you are trying to install XP on this drive. Once the correct drivers are installed, you may need to go into Device Manager and remove the unsupported device, then rescan for hardware changes to get the drivers properly attached to the device.

Ok, so here's what's going on now. When i log into windows i get a popup in the bottomright hand corner that says found new hardware: RAID Controller. This isn't my other sata drive is it? When I try to do the automatic install, its still saying that i need software. Any ideas?

Thanks

As I stated in my earlier post, you need to watch the screen as your system is booting up so that you can identify which RAID controller is on your motherboard. It is common for a motherboard manufacturer to use several different controllers on the same model board. That is why you see several different driver files available for download. If you watch the boot screen it will reach a point that lists the RAID controller detecting devices attached to it. Write down the controller and go back to the link you posted above and download and install that driver. Post more questions that you may have.

Alright, this is where i am now: In my bios i changed my gigaraid from raid to base, i also installed this driver:Silicon Image 3112 / 3512 SATA . Now, my system is recognizing my new hardware as a samsung mass storage device instead of the previous "raid controller." My only problem now is that in my device manager there is still another misinstalled piece of hardware. this one says it's a mass storage device as well. I was told to download this drive:NVIDIA IDE / SATA driver for nForce3 series Ver 5.10 for Windows xp. I did so and ran the setup and it completed succesfully. However, i STILL can't find the software i need to install. I tried both .inf files located in my c:/NVIDIA/IDE/WINXP and neither of them "contain any information about my hardware". Help is greatly appreciated, especially from you gandalf. Thanks again.

I know this is completely out of topic, but I never knew installing a HD required Driver... I do have both SATA and IDE, well is it possible just to swap things around by putting SATA as primary and IDE can be second? I dunno if it would work but at least give it a try...

OK, you have done the SI drivers and the Nvidia drivers, there is only this one left; ITE GigaRAID IT8212F. Download and install those drivers and try it again. It is not uncommon for Gigabyte to use 2 different RAID controllers on the same board.

Gandalf, you are a GOD! Alright, i downloaded that driver, and now there's no problems in my device manager and my samsung disk drive is shown as working properly. However, and i'm sorry to have to ask for your help again, under my computer i'm not seeing any new drive. I've got the device enabled and everything, what's wrong?

Now you need to partition and format the drive before it will be seen in My Computer. Go to Control Panel, then Administrative Tools, then Computer Management. Click on Disk Management on the left. You should now see your unpartitioned, unformatted drive on the right. Right click and select Create Partition and follow the ensuing Wizard. Your drive should no be visible and ready to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back