SATA as slave to IDE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The very concepts of master and slave refer to two devices sharing the same PATA cable and they are meaningless to SATA.

Yes, you can use both a PATA and a SATA drive in your system. The order in which they are enumerated can't be changed AFAIK.

Does the BIOS see the SATA drive? Do you have the SATA drivers installed? Have you partitioned and formatted the new drive?

Make sure the SATA controller jumper (SATA_EN1) on your board is set to "enable" & install the drivers for the controller.

what happened was i had xp on the SATA HD it crashed for what ever reason and kept BSOD every time it booted up so i took my IDE and put windows on it and installed all of the drivers for SATA the mobo and everything and the SATA is not showing up in XP. What do i look for in the BIOS to see if it is picking up the drive?

Once you've reinstalled Windows, you have to re-install the SATA drivers. From there, if the drive doesn't show up in "My Computer", go to the disk management & see if you can find it there. If yes, it's only a matter of partitionning & formating it so it shows up as the other drive.

Yes, you may have not formatted it, or it is not assigned a drive letter. Go into disk management (right click my computer, manage, go into disk manager section, right click on the partition to assign it a drive letter.)

the SATA drive was not formatted because windows is now installed on the IDE HD. there is no re-install of windows on the SATA Drive it is pluged in and i want to access it from the XP that is on the IDE drive

Download the following DRIVERS, then :
Originally posted by Didou
Once you've reinstalled Windows, you have to re-install the SATA drivers. From there, if the drive doesn't show up in "My Computer", go to the disk management & see if you can find it there. If yes, it's only a matter of partitionning & formating it so it shows up as the other drive.
Originally posted by Phantasm66
Yes, you may have not formatted it, or it is not assigned a drive letter. Go into disk management (right click my computer, manage, go into disk manager section, right click on the partition to assign it a drive letter.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back