SATA cable problem?

vomacka

Can a loose HD SATA cable cause the HD, and Windows to boot/load/run slow?

I thought I heard that a loose SATA cable can make the HD not "spin up" on boot, thus giving you a "no boot disk" error?

A slow spinning hard drive would also affect the accessing of programs as well?

What other problems can a loose SATA cable create?

Scott

SATA cables have to be firmly in place or you are going to have issues many of which you have listed. A SATA cable can be bad in itself causing a system to report issues with your hard drive when the hard drive is not the issue.

I just helped someone recently in the BSOD forum who was having all kinds of issues with his hard drive including Blue Screens of Death. I had him swap out his SATA cable and the issues ceased.

I'm guessing you'd get BOOTMGR errors -- maybe data corruption, as well? If the power connection component of the cable isn't fully engaged -- and I am not even sure if that's possible -- then perhaps you'd see disk-related errors you would usually associate with a failing PSU? Just guessing.

[FONT=Arial]I'm curious as to what the more knowledgeable members would say.[/FONT][FONT=Arial]One of the first things I do when something goes wrong with my PC for no apparent reason -- or at least none that my admittedly feeble and woefully limited knowledge can readily explain -- is check all the cables and connections.[/FONT][FONT=Arial] :D [/FONT][FONT=Arial] A noob thing, I suppose. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]EDIT : Oops! There's Route44's answer now. I think we hit "post reply" almost at the same time. Sorry, R44. Didn't see your post in time, hence this edit. Sorry.[/FONT]

Thanks for the help everyone. I really appreciate it.

The reason I asked is that I have three fans (CPU, GPU and case fan) that are all creating vibration in the case/motherboard. I guess the vibration can make a loose fitting SATA cable cause errors.

I have ordered a new SATA cable that has a locking clip on both ends. Then I will know that the cable will not vibrate loose anymore.

Scott

WOOHOO!! PROBLEM SOLVED!

I removed the old SATA cable and replaced it with a cable with locking clips. Worked like a charm. Now my fans won't be vibrating my cable loose anymore.

The system runs fin now. I will do a complete diagnostic on the drive to see if there is any file corruption or damaged sectors.

Thanks guys (and girls).

Scott

Back