TechSpot

Sata Hard Drive and Windows Xp HELP!

By amcb
Aug 12, 2007
  1. I just bought a laptop with Vista on it, and I hate it. I have a XP disk, but it doesn't seem to want to read my hard drive. I bought a new one to see if that would help, but it still wont read it. It's a Sony Vaio vgn-fz140e. First I tried to partition the hard drive it came with, and I did, but it just wouldn't detect it. Then I bought a new one but still the same problem. But when I plug in my external usb hard drive it will detect it, it just wont install onto there..... I really want XP, would prefer both, but rather XP than Vista. And I don't want to pay anyone to do it fore me. Any suggestions

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. Halos

Halos TS Rookie Posts: 36

What version of XP is the disc that you're using? I recently tried installing a SATA hard drive with an XP pre-SP1 disc and had some serious problems with it. If this is the case shoot me a PM and I can discuss with you the things I went through to get it working.

3. amcb

amcb TS Rookie Topic Starter

It's Windows Xp Home Edition Version 2002.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.