TechSpot

SATA hard drive not recognized

By ernestofumes
Aug 31, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. hello, i just purchased a 120 gb ssd and installed windows 7 64 bit on my computer. I had a sata drive before with windows 7 64 bit too. Now that i want to make the sata my slave drive it does not show up in my computer. I have to say that i wanted to clean the sata drive and uninstall windows 7 and just use it for storage, so what i did was to insert my windows 7 disc and i deleted the operating system from there and then i quit the installation. is there anything i can do to make my sata drive appear in my computer and use it as a storage/application drive?

I already tried to connect both drives with only one sata cable that has connection for master and slave but it does not work and it does not work either with 2 separate cables.
  2. hughva

hughva TS Rookie Posts: 309

What computer/mobo model?
    SATA drives don't use a Master/Slave designation. They are connected to channels (0,1, etc.). I can't quite imagine what cable you found that has two SATA connectors.
    Make sure the relevant channels are enabled in the BIOS.
  3. ernestofumes

ernestofumes TS Rookie Topic Starter

i have a p6t deluxe v2, i haven't updated the bios because it's too complicated for me but when i go to bios the hard drive is enabled and in windows disk management it does show it but it's unallocated. The only options when i right click i get are new simple volume,Convert to dynamic disk,convert to GPT disk,and offline. it doesn't let me change the letter either. thanks!

HARD DRIVE SAYS: location 1 (Channel 0, Target 1, Lun 0)

Disk 1
    Type: Basic
    partition style: Master Boot Record
  4. hughva

hughva TS Rookie Posts: 309

Create a new simple disk and format it.
  5. ernestofumes

so is it ok if i just choose the new simple volume and after it's done will it give me the option to format it?
  6. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Yes, once you've set the partition you'll have the option to format it.
  7. ernestofumes

It worked, thanks a lot guys, it's nice to know there's experienced people here!!!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.