SATA hardrive not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxman

SATA hardrive detected in BIOS boot priority but not when win XP about to be installe

I installed a SATA hard drive ( to SATA port) and a CD ROM (to IDE port). When I go to the BIOS, Primary IDE is showing the CD ROM no where I could find the SATA hard drive. So when I inserted the Win XP installation CD and I get to the part to detect my HD, it shows not detected. Is there any special setting I miss in the BIOS? Please advise. Thank you.

MOBO: ASUS P4D800D-X

You must be using an OEM SATA drive. They have to be installed, and the easiest way is to go to the website of the manufacturer of the SATA drive.

I don't get it...can you elaborate? This hard drive was used with an Intel motherboard before but because the mobo is broken, so I replaced with this Asus mobo.

Suggest you go to the website of the hard drive manufacturer. All manufacturers except Toshiba will have an explanation, and a download to install that drive, unless you got a disk with the drive when you pruchased it?... or you can check ASUS for drivers for that motherboard that apply to SATA drives... chipset (1 or 2) and possibly others.
Simple stuff takes less than 30 seconds to install.
Only other possibility is a defective SATA cable or connection. There has been a rash of defective SATA cables with some of the best boards. Get one that has "locks" that click down to firmly hold the SATA cable to the drive and the motherboard.

BTW, the HD is detected in the BIOS under Boot Device Priority however when I try to install Windows XP, it says that no HD is detected. Any idea what I missed here to configure? Also I have formatted the HDD with NTFS format so it should not be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back