TechSpot

SATA HD and partitioning help plz

By bloop87
Feb 17, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all, I recently built a new computer and used my old hard drive and it works and all, but I wanted another hard drive, so I bought a new SATA hard drive because my motherboard can only add SATA hard drives, and it is kind of working. I plugged in all the cables and it shows an icon in My Computer folder, but it says I have to reformat it. I tried doing that but it took a long time, and I got impatient, is it suppose to take long? I also used the CD that came with the SATA hard drive and its suppose to partition (though I'm not too sure what it does), anyways, I ran the program and its taking a really really long time to "create partitions", is it suppose to take long or what, because I'm fairly new to these kind of things and not sure. Currently I am going to leave it on overnight to see if anything happens, though I doubt it will. Since I'm such a newb, any help would be appreciated on how I can get it to work if nothing happens. If it matters, I bought a Hitachi Deskstar Hard Drive with 250 GB and the program I'm using that I got with it is OnTrack Disk Manager. Thank you all.
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

How long is "long" in your opinion?

Yes, it will take quite a while to do a full format on such a big drive.
  3. bloop87

bloop87 TS Rookie Topic Starter

This is my second time doing it right now, the first time, I left in on when I was going to school, so about 8-9 hours and it stil didn't change anything.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.