SATA-II Networking Theory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I have a question for one of you tech gurus...

Now it's become standard practice to use the SATA II interface for hooking up multiple drives, SataII to ESata for external drives and all that jazz. It's a fast interface at 3 gb per second and the connection is clean and well designed, somewhat like a USB interface, although far better, faster and better made for things LIKE hard drives...

So my question is this: How -theoretically- possible is it to create a driver that would allow SATAII networking, hooking a small red (or blue) molex cable up to a SATA port on the motherboard of PC 1, then the other end to the SATA port on PC 2...

We can do it via USB, why can't we do it with SATA jacks? Or can we? I mean, it would make file transfers a breeze at 3gb per second... It would be fantastic in my opinion. But how possible is it to achieve?

The SATA cables and interface are just the pipeline... You need a lot of engineering to send and more engineering to receive.
Don't you think they are already working on this as fast as they can...

Most of the slow down is in the cable sockets and plugs, but most of the speed up requires a generator or a sender... then something to receive and re-order what has been received.
This really is rocket science.

Not rocket science per say...

But if there was some sort of, say... box. a hub of some sort... self powered to the wall... you hook sata into it, then into Mobo1, then on the other side, you hook the sata cable to it, into mobo2... in THEORY... how sound is it?

Could data travel like that? I mean it can go from HDD to HDD at 3gb per second... it seems plausable, yes?

to make it work, what would something like that require?

Basically, I'm tired of having two computers that transfer at 1000 mb/s, because i'm getting faster results by swapping hard drives, sending a ton of crap to that drive, then hooking it back into the other box... it's annoying. I don't want to go out and buy a DROBO, i just want to SATA network it, LOL.

IN theory, of course. Hey, if someone wants to invent it for me, I'll pay good money to buy it :D

OK, do it!
Not sure anybody else sees the need in such a way as to spend any time on it.
If there is money to be made, somebody will get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back