SATA not detected.. help urgent

razanspartan

urgent help... i tried to do some clean format on my pc acer aspire e500... and i got a huge problem with it... my hard disk cannot be detected on the setup(blue screen).. its kinda wierd bcoz the hard disk is detected on the CMOS... need assistance asap...

If its XP, its likely, that unless you use the correct driver (by pressing F6) at start up it won't "see" the SATA drive.

If this is the case, you need the driver for your laptops hard disk controller in order for it to be successfully recognised.

In case you do not have any drivers of your HDD supporting XP, you can go to BIOS, and check whether it allows 'IDE Emulation' for SATA drive (it may be called differently on your system), select that option, save the settings and reboot. Provided that the option is present, and selected correctly Xp will be able to see your HDD without any drivers, hence you should be able to install the OS. Regards

YES, i'm installing XP

If its XP, its likely, that unless you use the correct driver (by pressing F6) at start up it won't "see" the SATA drive.

If this is the case, you need the driver for your laptops hard disk controller in order for it to be successfully recognised.

-how can i actually do that..?

In case you do not have any drivers of your HDD supporting XP, you can go to BIOS, and check whether it allows 'IDE Emulation' for SATA drive (it may be called differently on your system), select that option, save the settings and reboot. Provided that the option is present, and selected correctly Xp will be able to see your HDD without any drivers, hence you should be able to install the OS. Regards

..- ok i'll try this first..

-how can i actually do that..?

You need to head to either:

Your computer manufacturers website e.g. Dell if its Dell.
OR
Head to your motherboard manufacturers website (if its hand-built) and get the driver from them.

In both cases, just head to the support section - Put in your details, and then it should show you a list of drivers. You want the drivers for the disks.

If you give me full details of your system I'll happily find them for you and link them here.

Once all that is done, you then need to add them to a floppy disk, and when you boot Windows XP install, press F6 to load additional drivers, and it'll then prompt you for the floppy disk once the setup has inititalised.

If your motherboard supports IDE mode, I would use that.

EDIT: Your drivers can be found here: http://www.acer.co.uk/acer/service....tx1g.c2att92=122&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=2980211862

Just enter Desktop > Aspire > e500 and it comes up with the XP drivers for you. I just looked, but unfortunately I can't directly link the whole page.

Back