SATA wont work on A7N8X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry to bring this up, as I read a thread with about the same problem as I am experiencing now, but it just didn't really hit the spot for me.

I have a A7N8X deluxe MB and recently bought a SATA HDD from Wester Digital. The drive is meant for storage purposes, I have win XP sp2 on another (non SATA) HDD, and that is all working out just fine. The problem is, that the drive isn't recognized anywhere in XP, and basically I therefore can't make any good use of it.
I connected the SATA HDD with the MB through the "PRI_SATA1" port on the MB, and supplied it with power (the problem lies not here, as the drive does spin up when I turn on the computer.) After some reading, I have made the following adjustments:
The HDD is SATA2 (300MB/s), so I stuck a jumper on it to make it SATA1 (150MB/s), as nothing higher is supported by the MB (I think). The jumper is on pins 5-6, the so called "OPT 1".
On the MB, SATA_EN jumper is set to 1-2 (SATA_EN) - so thats enabled, I guess.
In BIOS I can find nothing mentioned about SATA what so ever. In the RAID configurations, though, the drive is listed, and marked with a star as "Drive 1", "primary drive" or something similar. But I have no real options in RAID configs.! All I get is "no problem detected" or messages like that. I can't ´find a way to activate any SATA-controller, as I have been encouraged to do in another forum.
I have not installed any drivers in connection with the drive, and have been told, that it shouldn't be necessary either.

Any help would be deeply appreciated, as I am sincerely annoyed by the fact, that I can't use my new HHD. Thanks in advance!
zoloft

A rather brief answer, but thanks anyway! I guess I was misinformed about not having to install any drivers.
Could you tell me where to get these drivers, and what they are called?

Check if your SATA controller shows up with a yellow exclamation mark in the device manager. If such is the case you indeed need to install its drivers.

the drivers should come with either the HD or the motherboard.

brief answer for a simple problem!

I do not have any manuals or cd's with drivers for my MB or the new HDD, unfortunately.
There is no SATA controller mentioned in the device manager, but there is a RAID controller listed with a yellow question mark. (Are these to - SATA and RAID - the same thing or closely connected somehow?)
Senosincks, thx for the link, but could you tell me how exactly to install the drivers from the .zip file you linked to? (Sorry for being a bit on the slow side btw.)

Extract the folder within the .zip, open the folder (should be named "silicon_v10022"), within that folder you'll see another named "GUI" and inside there you will see an installer named "InstallSATARaid", double click that and follow the prompts if there are any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back