Sata150 problem, i think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrealjet

i just built a new computer for gaming, specs are 1 gig corsair xms pc3200, asus a8n-sli deluxe, amd 3700 san deigo 64bit, evga 6600gt pci xpress, SATA150 seagate 120gig hd, and a dvd burner. When i first put the comp togather it was running fine, then abouit 3 weeks later i tried to open world of warcraft the computer restarted, then gave me some kind of allocation error about truncation, i know some about comps but this was new to me. Once windows opened it said i have recovered froma serious error, now it happens about every 8 times i open WoW. i am going to install recovery consol when i get home and try running chkdsk, if that doesnt work im going to send back to seagate, any1 have any suggestions on what this could be?

I don't think that's a problem with the HDD. RAM or GPU is more likely. Also, it could be a software error. But I wouldn't return the HDD unless the tests say it's actually bad.

First thing I'd do is reinstall WoW. If that doesn't solve it, then I'd try running a repair from the boot CD. (It's a wonderful thing, that repair feature on WinXP Boot CDs :D )

If you're still having problems, well... I'll look into it :grinthumb

k

i reformated the drive 3 times and reinstalled wow with 2 different cd's, ill try using the recovery consol and other various repair features this weekend, is there a program i can run to check out my hard drive ram gpu and other things? also i am using the evga pci xpress 6600gt can any1 tell me if there is supposed to be a pwoer adapter for this carD? cause i dont think i got 1

6600GT does not need a power adaptor, I'm fairly certain.

So you reformatted and it still didn't work... hmm... It's probably a hardware of BIOS problem then. Here's a few things to try:

~Make sure the GPU is fully inserted into the PCI-E slot. It may have come loose, despite the lock.

~If it's possible, try changing out your RAM (E.G. If you have two computers, put the RAM from the other one in this one temporarily) to see if it works with different RAM.

~Or search around in the BIOS and see if there's anything in there.

~If it still doesn't work after both of those, then try with a different GPU (See if you've got an older one lying around, or something like that)

Good luck!

check cpu temps could be loose heatsink or bad heatsink surface
I don't like the new cheap anodized black surface
very bad

They don't use the black anodized surface anymore. Or I could be thinking of something different, but I doubt that.

They went back to using thermal gunk.

Unrealjet, have you tried all of the suggestions?

i dont have another pci xpress card, but this weekend im going to try and borrow a different set of ram and put it in, in my bios what should i be looking for? and do you guys think running chkdsk and searching around the recovery consol would work? it only seems to be one game thats having problems but i have asus probe isntalled and if my cpug ets over a certain temp it restarts. dunno why my comp would only restart from trying to open that 1 game like every 10th time but ill look into heating probs comps brand new so if anything is bad i can proly rma it

id also like to note i dont like the case im using,http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16811209018
it seems to have that screwless thing to hold the pci cards in but its a lil 2 small so the top piece hoping the ard down is almost broken, i mite try and put my mobo if a different case where i can securely screw down the pci xpress graffix card, ill try and work on that this weekend

I wouldn't worry about the case.

But let's see... it only happens for that one game... do all your other games have the same graphics and put a heavy load on the RAM, CPU and GPU?

If so, then it might have something to do with that game, and not hardware at all.

If not, then it might be hardware.

So, if they DO all have the same specs, there might be something wrong with your game. I don't know what to do in this case.

its not the game, ran fine on my old comp and i installed it from2 diff discs, ima dl the new video drivers when i get home and ill post results

if card is loose and add heating to make card expand contract it could be a connection thing hya.
also bad case design make poor heat release
if you can use regular screw and keep case side open with small fan on the guts
play game like that see what happens

Perhaps your power supply is a little unstable. Did it come with the case?

yea its the case PSU, and i looked it doesnt look like i can hold the card down with a screw, i will pop case open again and try and work something out, so far it hasnt crashed since i installed new video drivers and reseated card and ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back