Satellite L455-S5975 D: drive not working

The other night I was watching a movie on my Toshiba Satellite L455-S5975 when the disk began making a strange noise. I immediately removed it, wiped it off, and reinserted it. It made the usual noises of reading the disk, but then it stopped and nothing happened. I went to the D: drive under "My Computer," and it said that the DVD was in there, so I hit auto play. Instead it ejected my disk and told me, "Please insert a disc into drive D:."

Since then, I have not been able to get any DVDs or CDs to play. The drive is still there, and I know it's reading the disc because it specifies the type of disc I inserted.

Any idea of what might be wrong and how to fix it?

There is no easy solution to this. It sounds fairly likely that you CD drive has failed and will need to be replaced. The only thing you could try is to remove the drive from the PC and reinsert it which may overcome a possible bad connection. Other than that there is little you can do but to buy a new drive.

There is no easy solution to this. It sounds fairly likely that you CD drive has failed and will need to be replaced. The only thing you could try is to remove the drive from the PC and reinsert it which may overcome a possible bad connection. Other than that there is little you can do but to buy a new drive.

I was afraid of that. :'( How exactly do you go about removing it, then?

And thank you for the information.

You should check on the Toshiba web site but usually a CD drive is held in place by just two or three screws from underneath the laptop. Remove the screws and it will slide out of the case.

The only thing you could try is to remove the drive from the PC and reinsert it which may overcome a possible bad connection. Other than that there is little you can do but to buy a new drive.

I think what Mark 56 said is a good idea but make sure to check whether or not you have any valid warranty etc.

Well, there was no way to remove it without taking the whole thing apart, but my drive miraculously started working again after I restarted my computer. (Why I didn't do that to start with is beyond me...) So, problem solved, for now at least. :D

Back