Saved laptop from spill but after taking apart monitor not working?

i spilled a glass of wine on my dell xps. i seemed to have done all of the right steps by shutting it off, removing battery, cleaning keyboard externally but then i noticed some keys were still sticking so i took it apart, with manual carefully, and there was only a wee bit of spots on the keyboard internally so cleaned with alcohol. all seemed well but when i reassembled the monitor isn't working. i can hear that it is starting up and working properly but the monitor is black. i was very careful with the cables, i didn't remove them or anything...does anyone know what could be happening?

thanks.

The LCD requires two cables, one for power, and the other the display connector.

It is likely the display cable which is probably ribbbon style, has come out of the back of the LCD's circuit connector block.

Either that, or one of the inverter leads has been slightly pulled out of the connector block and isn't making proper contact.

My advice would be to strip the display surround off, and remove the plastic trim running across the top of the keyboard and then check all the connections and with it in pieces, run it up again.

thanks for your reply leeky. i just opened the center control cover again to check the cable connector (ribbon) and it is very secure...i can't tell if one of the leads may not be connecting as everything looks secure. i had the whole case apart and had lifted the keyboard to clean, perhaps something in there got displaced however i feel confident that nothing did....but then who knows, i am not a technician.
to be honest, i feel uneasy removing the display trim as i may do further damage...

i may take it to a technician but am obviously nervous of costs....

but it does sound as though it is one of these things you mentioned.

may i also ask...after the spill i had cleaned the keyboard externally because some of the keys were sticking so this is why i opened it and cleaned the keyboard internally..i can hear that the keys are still sticking....does this mean i have done internal damage or could it just be that i need to replace the keyboard?

Its possible its just damage to the keyboard, but you won't know for certain until you entirely strip down the laptop and inspect the mainboard.

Back