Saving and installing programs on different partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingpongmury

im trying to install a program on to my computer that i just downloaded but one of my partitions is full so i saved it to my other partition which has 98 gigs left so it downloaded fine but i couldnt get it to install it just said that the drive was full although it has plenty of space on the hard drive.

if anyone could get me an answer i would appreciate it greatly.

btw im using vista ultimate 64, idk if that has anything to do with it

thanx again......

The partition that is full is causing the fault (still)
It probably needs to copy some install files to there, or maybe the PageFile or even temporary files needs to increase.
Therefore the full Partition is the concern

You could start by running CCleaner (a little be more space gone, to install this!)
Or just start cleaning up (deleting/and or moving data out of the full Partition)

Then try the install again (some installs require gigs of free space, it all depends on the program you are installing)

Programs always default to installing their folder on C:/ This is probably a stupid question but, have you tried redirecting the install to the other partition. The registry entries would still go to C:/ however. If the drive is still too stuffed to handle those, them I'm really stumped.

If you simply must install on C:/ then might I suggest moving and re-targeting the entire "My Documents" folder to the empty partition, as this is where most of your files will gravitate to anyway. "My Pictures and "My Movies, plus "My Whatnot" are all inside "My Documents", you see my point about disc usage tending to build up in this folder?

i don't even get a change to change the installation directory. Every time i try to run the .exe it just comes up saying there's not enough space on the empty partition

not all installers are created equal; some are very dumb -- dumb enough to even mandate install
on C:\ when the boot drive might by some other, like D:\

Regardless of the 'install directory' location, the registry will still be modified on the
boot drive and that is the HD with space issues...

Use Drive Cleanup to discard old temp files and see how much free space you create.

already did..... it freed up about 6 gigs and that solved the problem but only temporarily..

if i moved my program files off C:/ and onto my other drive... and change the icon properties to look for the file on F:/ would it work?

No, the Program Files location (presently on C ) cannot just be manually moved, otherwise they just won't work
So you have done CCleaner
You could save more space by turning off System Restore (go to System in Control Panel)
Or maybe just backup, and re-install Windows, you'd think that 6Gig free would be enough, it's as if the fault is talking about your Ram space (which may be the case)
Have you got enough Ram installed (1 Gig?)

2 gigs ram... and the 6 gigs is more than enough to install the program im more trying to find a more long term solution and to get use out of the other 100 gigs in the computer....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back