Says Preparing Desktop, then goes blank

I have Windows Vista Home Premium on my Dell laptop.
For a few days now, seems like after one of the Windows Updates on 24 or 25 Feb,
I log on it and it acts like it is logging on fine but is sloooooow. Then says "Preparing Desktop" and then screen is blank??
I have done all tests for Dell laptop, Windows Diagnosis, full system scan, and my laptop is always updated w/ Microsoft Windows Update, and Microsoft Security Essentials.
I keep doing a Safe Mode to do Windows Restore to earlier date and then it works like it ought to, but this is a pain. What could be the problem?
thank you.

"Preparing Desktop" suggests your login profile is corrupt.

In Safe Mode, create another user and give it a simple password like X (change it later or delete the login when done).

Then get a command prompt and run SERVICES.MSC
make sure these are autostart:
  1. DCOM service launcher
  2. RPC endpoint mapper
  3. RPC itself
  4. ** lastly enable **
  5. Security Accnts Manager
now you can use Start->Switch User to the new account
You will see again "Preparing Desktop" but it should compete and give you access.

Post your status before we continue

Oh boy sorry I am a 68+ lady who doen't know all the tech stuff. Honestly 25 yrs ago using pc and Windows was easier, and not sure cause I was much younger, and/or cause it was easier. It seems technology now is going by too fast and has more bugs, etc.
I found that if I just put laptop to sleep, it works fine. I however cannot shutdown and try to logon correctly as that is when it happens.
I was told Automatic Windows Update probaby did it. That may be right as that a.m. there was Updates.
Thank you for the instructions here but I just cannot do tech work and no tech around us here in rural MT.

Can't? SURE you can, follow the instruction (perhaps print them too keep them visable) and we'll walk thru this together :)

{others on TS; let me lead please, we can't have two captains at the wheel; this is WHY Broni locks up the VM forum }

I have Windows Vista Home Premium on my Dell laptop.
For a few days now, seems like after one of the Windows Updates on 24 or 25 Feb,
I log on it and it acts like it is logging on fine but is sloooooow. Then says "Preparing Desktop" and then screen is blank??
I have done all tests for Dell laptop, Windows Diagnosis, full system scan, and my laptop is always updated w/ Microsoft Windows Update, and Microsoft Security Essentials.
I keep doing a Safe Mode to do Windows Restore to earlier date and then it works like it ought to, but this is a pain. What could be the problem?
thank you.

Sorry to disappoint you but THANK YOU so much for caring. I wish there was a tech nearby but this is the life of rural living. Since I can leave laptop in Sleep mode and we live alone in cabin, it is easy to just put it to sleep and not have to shutdown. Not sure however if I ever have to restart what it will do? Again sorry to put you to any trouble and thank you for your time. ruralMTlady

It's no bother - - I even fixed a system in Amsterdam remotely (not boasting, but assuring you this is possible).
  • "Not sure however if I ever have to restart what it will do?"
Yes, that will be a problem. The suggestion above will prove your system CAN work correctly. Once that is shown we can correct the corruption causing this problem.

Back