TechSpot

SB Live 5.1

By nlavon
Jun 13, 2002
  1. Speaker Choice

I just bought a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 card for the home computer which is a VAR work in progress; Win 98SE, P3-850, 256K RAM.

The cruddy speakers just died and I need to get some new ones, but for where the computer is, and the makeup of the family, five-piece surround speakers are out but a three-piece set with a subwoofer is a possibility. I also need a headphone jack so my son can listen late at night.

Given the card, I'm looking at the Cambridge SoundWorks Digital system which can plug into the S/PDIF output of the SoundBlaster and I can put a headphone into the analog-speaker output on the card as well.

But I'm open to any other thoughts about a decent set of speakers for the card. Thanks.

2. bretty

bretty TS Rookie Posts: 92

Well, what do you want to use them for mainly? If it is DVD, get the DTT2500 (they are digital) are their analogue friends the DTT2200.
    I have the DTT2200 at the moment and they are cool. I am about to get a new set of Hercules XPS-510's though. They are supposed to perform better that the DTT2200's, and they are cheaper.
    I gaming is all you need then any 3 piece set (with a sub) will be nice. I recomend the DTT2200's though. Simply because I have run them through their paces, adn they perform admirably.

Good Luck!!!

3. guyferd

guyferd TS Rookie Posts: 31

hmmm

For watching movies, I suggest Altec Lansing ADA 890 because it's THX certified and has a great surround sound. And for 3D gaming, DTT2500 is the best (I think :p )

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.