Scam accusation says I commited a scam on TechSpot.

By Marnomancer
Apr 21, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Just as the thread title says. I haven't deleted the message in case it's needed. I've already reported the message to the moderators, but here's a screenshot:
    Capture.JPG
  2. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

We've got a copy of it in your reported post, Marnomancer.

I'm certainly not aware of any incidents, but we'll investigate the matter further. In the meantime I strongly recommend against clicking that link -- It looks rather suspect to me, especially with the Java request as soon as the page loads.
  3. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TechSpot Booster Topic Starter Posts: 808   +51

Yes, which is why I got Avast! to sandbox it for me. I tried viewing the user profile "Alena whatever-it-is", but it says it's unavailable.
  4. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,511   +308

She's been banned, fishy site.
  5. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TechSpot Booster Topic Starter Posts: 808   +51

Aye. Now that I got a close look at the page's behaviour in sandbox mode, I've concluded this whole scam accusation itself is a scam. Accusing someone of a scam, and when the nervous soul clicks the provided link, it effectively installs some kind of backdoor client in his/her computer.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.