Scammed by Tigerdirect; no more business with them

Row1

Hello, everyone- Many here probably know you have to accept TigerDirect for what it is. Mostly legit, but with that little twinkle of mischief in their eye. They are no Newegg.

However, the way they have just ripped me off is worth mentioning, since it, in my view, is flat-out fraud.

I placed an order in the end of December. This order included a USB-powered pair of small speakers to be used for one of my computers. It would be awesome to have some sound, but no wall wart. This is their item T71-9713 LENOVO SPEAKER, for 7.99.

Only one of the two speakers works. So, I log in to my account, click 'my orders,' select this order, and select this item to be returned, or exchanged. Either way.

When I go to submit this return request, I get this message:
"Please log in as the account that placed this order. You cannot return orders owned by another account."

What?

How can I pull up an order in one account, then be told it was purchased with another account?!

As far as I know, I have only had one and only one acct with TigerDirect.

I will call and email them to try to get my $8 back.

Otherwise, for this scam, I want them to lose business.

At this point, they have lost mine. Be forewarned.

I will call and email them to try to get my $8 back.

Otherwise, for this scam, I want them to lose business.

At this point, they have lost mine. Be forewarned.
Please!

You haven't called them yet. At least allow them to make amends outside of computer errors.

OK, RMA is being emailed to me. The customer service chat person says there must have been some sort of error with the website. Sure.

If anyone else experiences this type of problem, please post.

The only way to live with TigerDirect, where you know some second-rate merchandise is being sold, is to know that you can deal with some hassle and get refunded. But if you cannot get refunded without making a big fuss, it is not worth it.

I've ordered Tiger Direct *many times* and never had any issues (y)

I purchased through Tigerdirect many times. Tigerdirect used to be the only place I purchased from. Once I noticed Newegg had a better search facility, I started using Newegg. Afterward I also noticed Newegg had a larger inventory and often better name brand produces. I still use Tigerdirect from time to time and have never had an issue with them. There are only two that can be blamed, the manufacturer for the product or the consumer for buying the product. It is not in the middleman's best interest to not make things right. This thread alone is a testament to how quickly a sour note can spread. Where is your complaint about the manufacturer of the product? Instead you seem more worried about the RMA, and damaging the supplier's reputation. You can beat the mailman all day, that will not stop the incoming mail.

I use Tigerdirect from time to time and go into the stores and have never once had an issue with them personally. Though my only complaint is that besides their random sales (Which at times blow my mind like that 4770k deal for 200), they seem to be a bit overpriced.

I will never do business with Tigerdirect again. During a 72hour Christmas sale, they advertised a 3TB hard drive for 109 dollars, that had an instant rebate on it, that made it that price. They also claim, that during this 72 hour sale, that if you ordered over 100 dollars, you would get a 25 dollar deduction on your order. I had my son place the order and pay for it because I was short of cash and would pay him back. I had the exact page up on my computer and saw him place the order for a 3TB drive. Well, it took ten days and I got a 2TB hard drive instead of the 3TB hard drive that I ordered. My son agreed that he orderes a 3TB hard and not a 2TB one. My son tried to resolve problem through Tigerdirect but got nowhere with them. They claimed that there was no ad or sale and that the 3TB was never 109 dollars and refused to make amends. The order page for this drive is now changed to 139 dollars for a 3TB, so I now have no proof because of their changes. I just now sent a copy of the email ad that Tigerdirect sent me a while back to my son. It shows the words "3TB hard drive for 109 dollars" on their 72 hours Christmas sale. Of course, If you click on it, it goes to their page that they made changes to and now it read 3TB hard drive for 139 dollars. I wonder what they will say about this ad! So, not only didn't I get a 3TB drive (only a 2TB one), my son paid more than he should have and I never got the 25 dollar kick back for ordering over 100 dollar like they promised on their ad. They are a bunch of crooks and I will never order from them again. I'll stick with Newegg. Newegg's prices may not always be the best, but they honor them and their shipping seems to be faster.

It seems to me that some of the people in this thread haven't come to terms with the fact that businesses and their employees make mistakes. I've never had problems with TigerDirect, but I have had these problems with other popular retailers as well as my university's bookstore. Nine times out of ten, these issues are a failure of the customer to properly review their order form before purchase, a system glitch, or someone at the location getting the order wrong. Hardly issues worth a scam warning.

It seems to me that some people fail to really read all the comments or they would have an understanding. In my case, this wasn't about a mistake, it was about not owing up to their mistake and making amends. Just because the invoice states something and the page has since been updated, doesn't mean it was what was ordered. You can call me Bob, but that doesn't make it so. I don't need to look at the birth certificate and double check. My link is from their email ad that I still have. And guess what? It goes to the exact page to the exact drive and size that I ordered. The only difference is that the price has now been changed from updating which was not the case when my son ordered it. So, it's not about a mistake, it's about denying that there was a sale and refusing to honor it. That in my book shows a full disregard in customer relation. So, before you start accusing the customer of being incompetent, davislane1, you should accept what is wrote and quit trying to be another Tigerdirect Customer Service Zombie that shows no side of compassion, understanding, or the service that is part of the name.

Last edited:
For what it is worth @Kabby1952, I sympathize with you.

I was once shipped a different DVD spindle pack than what I had ordered. After calling them and explaining I order what I did for compatibility reasons they excepted RMA. At first they said, I received better DVD's than I was asking for so what is the problem. However my incident didn't involve a price discount and was easier to resolve.

I think in your case I would call Better Business Bureau. Looks as if you have a strong case with that email as proof.

So, before you start accusing the customer of being incompetent, davislane1, you should accept what is wrote and quit trying to be another Tigerdirect Customer Service Zombie that shows no side of compassion, understanding, or the service that is part of the name.

No part of my post calls anyone incompetent. I merely stated that the issues mentioned in this thread are common and therefore not worth a "scam warning":

It seems to me that some of the people in this thread haven't come to terms with the fact that businesses and their employees make mistakes . . . Nine times out of ten, these issues are a failure of the customer to properly review their order form before purchase, a system glitch, or someone at the location getting the order wrong. Hardly issues worth a scam warning.

My response is indeed dispassionate, but accurately reflects that the discussion here involve customer service problems, not "scams." If you pitch your complaint to someone above a basic CS rep and still get stiffed, that's a real problem that needs to be brought to light because it shows that the people running the show don't care about their customers. A CS rep or their supervisor failing to do their job, which is what you've detailed, means that they have garbage customer service, not that they're actively running scams.

No part of my post calls anyone incompetent. I merely stated that the issues mentioned in this thread are common and therefore not worth a "scam warning":

My response is indeed dispassionate, but accurately reflects that the discussion here involve customer service problems, not "scams." If you pitch your complaint to someone above a basic CS rep and still get stiffed, that's a real problem that needs to be brought to light because it shows that the people running the show don't care about their customers. A CS rep or their supervisor failing to do their job, which is what you've detailed, means that they have garbage customer service, not that they're actively running scams.

I never used the word "Scam", but when you state that "Nine times out of ten, these issues are a failure of the customer to properly review their order form", it's the same thing as stating that most customers are incompetent. That's a rather rude and inaccurate comment.

I never used the word "Scam", but when you state that "Nine times out of ten, these issues are a failure of the customer to properly review their order form", it's the same thing as stating that most customers are incompetent. That's a rather rude and inaccurate comment.

You aren't making your case by selectively quoting me.

Nevertheless, for the sake of entertaining whomever might get their kicks from reading forum squabbles, I'll humor you.

The FULL sentence in question: "Nine times out of ten, these issues are a failure of the customer to properly review their order form before purchase, a system glitch, or someone at the location getting the order wrong."

Now, let's just analyze this in exclusivity. We will ignore both the content of the OP and the context of my post. We have only the following statement to consider: Most order problems result from a mistake in the order chain. I specifically detail THREE links in this order chain: the customer, the order system, and the order filler. If any of the links makes a mistake, the expected order isn't properly fulfilled.

As per your most recent comment (as of this writing), this statement is
the same thing as stating that most customers are incompetent.

I find this to be a particularly ambitious claim, as it requires you to demonstrate how an error not made by the customer is automatically the customer's fault (most of the time).

What's more is you've upped your own ante: If, through some marvelous feat of logic that would razzle-dazzle even the most comprehensively educated and pharmaceutically wacked-out Yale philosophy major, you manage to coherently demonstrate the aforementioned liability, you must then navigate the most treacherous of conclusions: Only an incompetent person can make a mistake!

The floor is yours, good sir.

I was once shipped a different DVD spindle pack than what I had ordered. After calling them and explaining I order what I did for compatibility reasons they excepted RMA. At first they said, I received better DVD's than I was asking for so what is the problem. However my incident didn't involve a price discount and was easier to resolve...
Was it Memorex? Because if they said Memorex was better than whatever you ordered you got shafted. I hate Memorex DVDs

It was the DVD Recorder in the living only capable of 4X media. I ordered 4X media and was sent 8X media. The rep was stating the 8X media was backward compliant and my recorder was telling me different. Yeah on paper is should have been compliant, but I went through the hassle of locating 4X for a reason. The reason being as 8X media purchased locally wouldn't work and I couldn't find 4X without looking online.

Davislane1, I'm sure glad that you have never had a problem with Tigerdirect... Well put a rose up your nose. Not everyone on this thread is claiming they are a scam, but have stated what has happened to them as customers. I don't know if you went to Yale or not and I don't care. Making statements like "Nine times out of ten, these issues are a failure of the customer to properly review their order form before purchase, a system glitch, or someone at the location getting the order wrong" - yes, full quote this time, as if it makes a difference. I don't know where you come off acting like a authority figure by giving a supposedly statistical statement. Did you make this up yourself? I personally like reading about facts or what people's experience were with Tigerdirect or Newegg or other online order companies. I don't need to reading your condemning commentaries about those you personally disagree with. I'm very capable, and I think others are too, of picking out the useful facts and leaving the crap. And that is why your comments have no value for me. And by the way, I have been on other forums that write about Tigerdirect and it's kind of interesting that a lot have commented on the same thing - that Tigerdirect is famous for posting sale ads and promotions, but seldom will honor them. No, sorry... I don't have a statistical statement to give you concerning it. Maybe you can ask one of those Yale friends of yours?

I don't need to reading your condemning commentaries about those you personally disagree with. I'm very capable, and I think others are too, of picking out the useful facts and leaving the crap. And that is why your comments have no value for me.

Which is why you've found it necessary both to read and reply to every post I've made in this thread. :confused: Should I go for a hat trick?

And by the way, I have been on other forums that write about Tigerdirect and it's kind of interesting that a lot have commented on the same thing - that Tigerdirect is famous for posting sale ads and promotions, but seldom will honor them.

On a serious note, I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. In fact, I prefer people to take the other side; it makes for better conversation and more entertaining discussion threads. Although my obvious trolling may be of no worth to you, this little tidbit of information is, to me at least, worth a looking into.

P.S. I'm still waiting for you to tell me how I've said what I didn't say.

Going through this hell right, receiving this: Please log in as the account that placed this order. You cannot return orders owned by another account. And been on hold for more than 2 hours.

Ripped off by tiger direct here. Bought from there for years. Just received a refurbished TV from them. Big black bar thru picture. Definetly defective. They gave info for warranty with some other company. Other company doesn't answer phone, all calls go to voice mail. Can't talk to anyone at tiger direct, just sit on hold, no one ever answers, sent email no one answers. DO NOT BUY FROM TIGER. They will rip you off. No customer service whatsoever. I am having to get the attorney general involved here because this is fraud

I recently purchased a laptop. This was on Nov 15, 2015. Nov 17 the money came out of my account so on the 20th I checked online since I had not received any email about shipping, only an email confirming the order was received. It said the laptop was delivered to Jefferson, GA. Note I live in Newmarket, Ontario, Canada and the order was placed at TigerDirect.ca. I called and was told that this is standard. It is delivered to Tiger Direct warehouse and then shipped on to the customer and that it would now be routed directly to me and I would receive an email. That was 2 days ago.

Never heard a thing so started sending emails to customer service. Eventually they cancelled the order stating the item was lost between the cross dock. However didn't refund me some $15.62 for shipping and some other laptop charge. Now after another few emails I will receive $13. Then a few more and another $1.46. Finally after sending another email that the missing money they had charged for laptop disposal I will receive another $1.15. So only lost $0.01 and spent time sending 9 emails trying to get a solution to my order. Worst company I have ever dealt with online. I Will never deal with them again, neither will my company nor anyone I can suggest to buy elsewhere. Please do not waste your time shopping here. Customer service is a joke.

Back