TechSpot

Sci-Fi FPS recommendations?

By S11m0niC
Jun 29, 2010
  1. Anyone know any good Science Fiction First Person Shooters (like DOOM 3, Area 51, HALO...) :D they don't have to be survival horror, just shooters. And not too harsh on the graphics, please (i have a laptop) :)

2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

Funny you should ask on this day in particular, because Raven Software's Singularity just released. It's a first person shooter with some sci-fi and horror elements. It uses the Unreal Engine too so it should be plenty scalable for less powerful systems. I just started playing it earlier and so far it's loads of fun, check it out! Sounds like it's just what you're looking for...

www.singularity-game.com

3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,916   +345

Left 4 Dead is definitely FPS game although it is also definitely survival, horror. I haven't tried Left 4 Dead 2 yet, however. It uses the Source engine I believe.

4. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,379   +16

I recommend the Orange Box if you haven't played that before as its by far a must own game for any PC gamer. You'll get three great games including Half Life 2, Half Life 2 Episode 1 & Half Life 2 Episode 2. It's a very arcade style shooter like Doom and it's a lot of fun. On top of that you'll also get Team Fortress 2 an online shooter and you'll get Portal a first person action based puzzle game with great humor. Both range from $30 retail to $20 digital on Steam and run great on older hardware.

Two other games you might be interested in are Quake 4 and Prey both based on the same game engine as Doom 3 (id tech 4). The Prey story line however is much more engaging.

5. STp

STp TS Rookie

Try Dead Space - its a survival scifi horror shooter

6. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

^not a FPS but one of the best Science Fiction games available; one of my personal favorites :)

I meant to post back in this thread about a game called Penumbra. You could also try FEAR series... although the second one wasn't nearly as good as the original.

7. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

Love all the Half Life games and even the latest on will run on a mid-range graphics card at full resolution. Wolfenstein is pretty good too. The graphics engine is dated so it doesnt need a very powerful card. The 2 Star Trek Elite Force games were great too.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.