Scientists demo radio wave "twisting" to increase bandwidth

By Jos
Mar 2, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A group of Italian and Swedish researchers claim to have found a way to dramatically boost the information-carrying capacity of radio waves by employing a technique called "orbital angular momentum."…

Read the whole story
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,526   +829

If only radio wave bandwidth couold be used for wifi for consumers, instead of law enforcement, etc.
    I don't understand why they need it, their system works pretty well as it as, as far as I can tell.
  3. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,295   +663

Leave it to the Italians to achieve a wireless breakthrough modeled after a noodle :) In all seriousness, I've been hearing about this kind of research for well over a year and figured it wouldn't be too long before it was engineered into reality. I expect we'll be seeing rollouts of this tech inside of two years - the cell carriers will be racing to develop their own versions of it. A shame they'll probably only use it to create 6G radios instead of actually expanding their network capacity.
  4. DanUK

DanUK TS Booster Posts: 211   +9

This is fascinating! Nice find. Also "lulz" @ psycros' first sentence.
  5. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 828   +17

I wonder if it takes completely different equipment or if current WiFi equipment can do it with a software update....