Scientists demo radio wave "twisting" to increase bandwidth

By Jos
Mar 2, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A group of Italian and Swedish researchers claim to have found a way to dramatically boost the information-carrying capacity of radio waves by employing a technique called "orbital angular momentum."…

Read the whole story
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,859   +343

If only radio wave bandwidth couold be used for wifi for consumers, instead of law enforcement, etc.
    I don't understand why they need it, their system works pretty well as it as, as far as I can tell.
  3. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 670   +202

Leave it to the Italians to achieve a wireless breakthrough modeled after a noodle :) In all seriousness, I've been hearing about this kind of research for well over a year and figured it wouldn't be too long before it was engineered into reality. I expect we'll be seeing rollouts of this tech inside of two years - the cell carriers will be racing to develop their own versions of it. A shame they'll probably only use it to create 6G radios instead of actually expanding their network capacity.
  4. DanUK

DanUK TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 189   +7

This is fascinating! Nice find. Also "lulz" @ psycros' first sentence.
  5. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 843   +11

I wonder if it takes completely different equipment or if current WiFi equipment can do it with a software update....

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.