TechSpot

Scientists develop computer that never crashes

By Shawn Knight
Feb 15, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Depending on what you are doing, a computer crash can be classified as anything from a minor annoyance to a complete disaster. I’ve been experiencing some BSODs lately of unknown origin and let me be the first to tell you,...

Read more

2. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 634   +123

Bethesda develops an open world game for the uncrashable computer. Game CTDs within an hour.

In all seriousness though, I find it hard to believe, regardless of whatever methodology they have behind it, there's no way there's a system to ensure a computer will never crash. To say otherwise is to grossly underestimate the capabilities of human stupidity.

laggetjeuh and cliffordcooley like this.
  3. So, how does all this differ from a simple automated backup? Or how does protect from semantic bugs?

4. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

The irony is not lost on me that my browser locked up whilst reading this page?

5. ArthurZ

ArthurZ TS Rookie Posts: 79

What? Does that mean we admit *nix computers crash, too?

6. NeoFlux

NeoFlux TS Member Posts: 87

Is this "thing" is hardware or software based?

7. Oh come on...! My comp never crashes. I DON'T USE M$OFT WINDOWS!!!

8. Seth Ramsay

Seth Ramsay TS Rookie

MIRRORED RAID! thats all this is except that it reopens the file from the mirrored hdd/sdd, nothing special

9. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 377   +69

What is so hard to believe? Unless something goes wrong with the rom. Maybe servers would be really interested in this.

10. This is really very little/not different from triple-redundant systems already used today. You aren't making a computer that can't crash. You're just giving it multiple chances to not fail. If all of them happen to fail at once, then you crash (which is entirely possible if the software its running wasn't written correctly in the first place, which is usually the main form of crashes). Nothing new to see here.

11. If a computer crashes, most of the time it is because it was badly programmed.
    If you let 2 computers calculate the same instructions they'll both crash.

If you want to avoid crashes due to hardware faults, you can allready implement VMware Vmotion stuff or Oracle RAC, etc...

Could have missed the point here

12. Lurker101

The word 'never'.

13. Ma_ga

Ma_ga TS Rookie Posts: 39

The "never" part is hard to believe, since a lot of the problems are due to programing bugs/error more than machine's one, so no matter how many backups there are, if the outcome is a crash....

14. ElShotte

ElShotte TS Enthusiast Posts: 166

Wow, cool concept. So from this article I'm assuming that this is in fact hardware, not software based correct? It would be way better if it was actually software based, where the OS writes things to RAM a different way or something... but that way it can be adapted to be used with current systems.

15. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 511   +84

"At this point, performance isn?t all that great but there?s certainly room to improve upon."

So does this mean that the uncrashable computer crashed as often as a normal computer or crashed more often?

16. Lurker101

It sounds more like the computer doesn't go fast enough to crash. Instead it just falls over.

17. Zeromus

Zeromus TS Enthusiast Posts: 231   +7

Not a single intelligent comment in this thread.

18. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 377   +69

Of course we can't match your intellect, oh your majesty who thinks he is smarter then everyone.

Anyway I don't see why not, if you keep electricity going to the machine.

19. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Booster Posts: 971   +97

How boring would it be for us techies if our PC's and laptops didn't crash? VERY BORING!

In the business world, it's a great idea, I just don't want 'em in my house.

20. Zeromus

I suppose it's my fault for being here lol.

21. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,086   +41

and not a single **** was given

...I logged in just to say that NOT as a guest.

22. fullmetalvegan

fullmetalvegan TS Enthusiast Posts: 162

Mine never crashes either! Haven't had a crash in the last few years that I even remember when it was. I use Windows 7/8. :)

23. MrBungle

MrBungle TS Booster Posts: 151   +64

Overclock all the processing systems a bit too far and I bet it will crash...

24. Zeromus

Your welcome.

25. Sphynx

Sphynx TS Rookie Posts: 35

Same here. I have never had a single crash on my Windows 7 and 8. Methinks Guest must be using old Windows versions (I.e. Windows 95/98/ME).

26. Haha, lol.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.