TechSpot

Scientists hit wireless speeds of 2.56Tbps using light vortex beams

By Rick
Jun 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Researchers at USC, JPL and Tel Aviv University have managed to transfer 2.56 terabits of information by multiplexing together 8 x 300Mbps "twisted" streams of visible light. The feat exploits a phenomenon which, up until recently, scientists thought may haveā€¦

Read more

2. bchen88c

bchen88c TS Member Posts: 23

*8x300Gbps.

3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,555   +861

multiplex= A system or signal involving simultaneous transmission of several messages along a SINGLE channel of communication.

4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

"Additionally, because the beams are made entirely of visible light, such light vortices require clear line-of-sight between the sender and recipient. This means you most likely won't be replacing your Wi-Fi network with a wireless phase-modulating vortex beam station anytime soon."
    That's a bummer... I was looking forward to coming home with one and saying 'Honey! I bought a wireless phase-modulating vortex beam station!'

5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 4,573   +65

I added, "into a single beam" to satisfy your pedantry. :)

6. hmmm very interesting...this will prove VERY useful for the satellite companies...imagine a clear line of sight if you live in the country. No cable, barely any cell phone reception...this would do wonders for everyone. This is really big, I can't wait to see what they do with it.

7. So would that take a bit of a toll on my smartphone battery? Because we need to move on from LTE. It's getting pretty long in the tooth... :p

8. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TS Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

Or puting it thru Glass Fibers...

9. ikesmasher

hm yea, that would make sense for satalllites maybe...its gonna need a hell of a light though...

10. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,310   +56

I don't see how light would go thru cloud cover from a satellite. My brothers radio satellite dish fails when it merely rains.

11. ikesmasher

well maybe if you live in the middle of a desert.

12. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 813   +93

300Gbps! *drools* And people say there is no god...

13. "The real excitement seems to be transmitting data wirelessly, an area where our future endeavors may be limited by the finite amount of usable radio spectrum available."

Visible light is part of the electromagnetic spectrum and is limited as well. Right now our phones are using code division multiple access (CDMA) which allows multiple users to occupy the same exact frequency. That was our fix to the problem of finite radio spectrum.

The reason they're able to increase the speed is because the wavelengths of visible light are shorter. Long story short the amount of spectrum available is irrelevant.

14. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,606   +287

15. DanUK

DanUK TS Booster Posts: 211   +9

Oh man, the physics going into this is incredible/fascinating. The amount of technology like this we're seeing emerge these days... I can't wait to see what sort of devices we'll have 5/10 years down the line.

16. DanUK

DanUK TS Booster Posts: 211   +9

Yeah I think they were talking about between satellites in space for example. Space = almost zero interference.

17. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

You can move to places like Arizona or Utah U.S just to name a few, or the middle of Austrailia to avoid a lot of cloud cover.

18. jacques

jacques TS Rookie Posts: 22

and also not very cloudy in south africa hehe

19. so.. Does apple have a wireless phase-modulating vortex beam app yet?