TechSpot

Scientists use heat to store data on magnetic hard drive

By Shawn Knight
Feb 8, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A multinational team of scientists have discovered a new method to store data magnetically that is hundreds of times faster than current hard drives are capable of. Data is stored on…

Read the whole story

2. Another new and exiting technology that most likely won't make it to the market.

3. Typo: *exciting

4. MrTomTom

MrTomTom TS Rookie Posts: 22

Why embed the laser directly on the read head ? I believe a mirror would make it much lighter with a laser at the base of the actuator arm.

5. "Why embed the laser directly on the read head ? I believe a mirror would make it much lighter with a laser at the base of the actuator arm." ... or perhaps a tiny fibre optic tube.

6. Chazz

Chazz TS Maniac Posts: 640   +60

Could they make a very long laser, so that all parts of the disk(that are under the line of lights) can be read and written to at the same time if needed. It would make striping your HD useless.. and speed up access times yes?

7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,978   +390

as soon is this is mass produced for consumers, im investing all of my moneyz.

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,399   +1,591

I assume you think the laser wouldn't damage the fiber optic's.

9. Yeah, me too; I'm selling my house right now XD

10. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Enthusiast Posts: 274   +77

it only took Blu Ray 14 years to get to market.. I'm sure we'll se this .. maybe in 20.

11. jmjsquared

jmjsquared TS Enthusiast Posts: 145

C'mon, now. Don't be so sinical. :-(

12. jmjsquared

jmjsquared TS Enthusiast Posts: 145

Typo: *Damned cynical. ;-)

13. Am I correct in assuming this won't make read speeds any faster?

14. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Booster Posts: 371   +29

I agree with that assumption since they are recording via magnetism thus they need another way to read it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.