Screen goes black when playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.
After trying all possible things I could think of I sill have the same problem.
Every game (The Witcher, Need 4 Speed) I 've tried so far results in black frames.
The games start ok but just after I start playing the screen goes black but the ingame music keeps playing. If I don't move my keyboard and mouse I'll get some visible frame's back. Usually just enough to be able to quit the game. System does not lockup or something. No blue screens either. All other software (Windows 7 & Vista ,Photoshop, Open Office, etc) behave normally.

I have got a brand new system (just 1 week old when writing this) to play around with.

Specs:
Coolermaster CM690
Core i7 920
Club3d ATI 4850 512mb
MSI X58 PRO
OCZ 1Gb 12800 (1600) triple channel kit (3Gb total)
Antec Earthwatts 650w
Samsung spinpoint F1 640Gb

Things I've tried so far:

Firstly I Installed Windows 7 (Beta 64bit) and the ATI Catalyst drivers for windows 7 (Beta 64bit). Uninstalled Catalyst Beta and installed Catalyst 9.2 And updated everyting i could think of. No solution there.

Then I started all over again this time round using Vista Ultimate. No solution there either.

Is there somting I've missed or do I have to replace defective harware?

Did you try using an older driver? I had a similar issue with Windows 7 x64 7048 not playing games with Cat 9.2 installed. I ended up going back to Cat 9.1, and everything works perfectly.

Haven't tried 9.1 , just the Beta and 9.2
I've uninstalled Windows 7so ill try using 9.1 on Vista, Il let you know in a minute.

DirectX?

Have you tried reinstalling the appropriate version fo DirectX? I don't know if these are DX10 games or not, but I just read today on TechARP about DirectX 9 corrupting DX10, and reinstalling DX10 correcting the issues.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back