Screen goes blank after starting Windows

Hey everyone. I recently encountered a problem with my computer - the screen goes blank after the "starting windows" loading phase.

This happened after I uninstalled my video driver and then restarted (uninstalling the driver so I could install the latest one).
I've tried the following things so far:
  1. Booting Windows up in safe mode, but the same thing happens
  2. Attempt a start up repair although it somehow keeps "attempting repairs" and it's been doing that for 30+ minutes now
Everything on my computer was working fine before this.
I'm using Win7 64bit and I have a Radeon HD5850 graphics card. Any thoughts?

- Frederik

I've known 'attempting repairs' to be doing the job, but failing to restart the PC. Just do that with the power switch and hope for the best. If you are lucky, Windows will use a generic video driver so you can follow up by installing the proper one.

Did you uninstall the driver from the Device Manager or Programs and Features? Be sure to do so from Programs and Features.

I once managed to get myself into this situation. Somehow I messed up a video driver update by deleting the native Windows drivers. Every boot up resulted in the black screen of death. Safe mode was just the same. I solved it by reinstalling Windows which takes forever. Hopefully you still have the disk. Maybe temporarily swapping in another graphics card to give yourself a working screen to sort things out or using your Windows disk to make a Repair would work?

If you can't face a reinstall, but have access to resources, you could beg, borrow or create a CD of UBCD4WIN, with which you could boot your PC, and do a system restore back to before you deleted the drivers.

Back