Screen goes blank during XP setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegasgmc

Im running 2000 and 98 and Im trying to install XP Pro on a blank partition. After the installation files are copied and the computer reboots I get to the "press F6 for third party..." It says at the bottom "setup is loading files", it flashes some files and then the screen goes blank, it glows a little. I disabled virus program and firewall and it still does it.
Ive done these installs a million times and never run into this. Other than this Ive had no problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you overclocking?
I had a nasty little issue with installing Windows ME. It kept freezing after "Copying Windows Files Needed for Setup..."
This may be the issue or it may be a hardware incompatibility. Post the specs of the machine you're trying to install it on, and I'll see what I can do.

Originally posted by Vehementi
Are you overclocking?
I had a nasty little issue with installing Windows ME. It kept freezing after "Copying Windows Files Needed for Setup..."
This may be the issue or it may be a hardware incompatibility. Post the specs of the machine you're trying to install it on, and I'll see what I can do.
Found in vegasgmc's signature:
1 ghz Thunderbird OC'd to 1200, Shuttle AK11 mobo, 256mb PC133, Gforce 2 MX 400 64mb, SB Live, 30 gig 7200 WD with Win 98se/2000, 52x CD, 24 x CDRW, Antec case and 6 loud fans.
I'd downclock and try it again. I'd also remove any unnecessary PCI cards, and plug your hard drive into the normal ATA 33/66 slot instead of the ATA100 if you have one.

:dead:

Can't seem to notice things today. Immediately opened the reply link and didn't notice his sig.

But yes your only option is to underclock. Then I'm certain it will work.

I turned down the clock, also disabled antivirus and firewall. No good. I used another disk and get to the blue screen that says
"setup is starting windows" and thats as far as its goes. Im thinking there is some conflict with 2000. Ive also had problems reinstalling 2000 on the same drive because of a UDF file from Direct CD. Its a known issue but I havent been able to find it in knowledge base again.

Er yea i had a similar problem which i couldn't seem to fix:dead: , anyway im not sure which setting worked, but i Loaded Failsafe Defaults in BIOS and everything worked fine first time! Just an idea:)

Cucumber

Do you have "plug and play Os installed?? " set to "YES" in your BIOS???? If so, turn it to no and try again, clean install.

I found an article in MS knowledge base. According to it I need to upgrade my BIOS. Its an Award and the directions are confusing.

Originally posted by vegasgmc
Im running 2000 and 98 and Im trying to install XP Pro on a blank partition. After the installation files are copied and the computer reboots I get to the "press F6 for third party..." It says at the bottom "setup is loading files", it flashes some files and then the screen goes blank, it glows a little. I disabled virus program and firewall and it still does it.
Ive done these installs a million times and never run into this. Other than this Ive had no problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you doing a clean install or an upgrade ?

Anti Virus & firewall software won't give you problems until after you've completely installed the OS.

I've heard of anti-viruses in the BIOS but not firewalls...

Try booting on the XP CD rather then launching the install process from within another OS.

Im trying to do a clean install on a seperate partition. Ive tried 2 different disks, doing it through the other OS's and booting from the cd. Ive never put XP on this computer. Maybe I'll just wait and put it on the new one Im building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back