Screen randomly goes black - bizarre windows crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i have a computer that i mostly use for audio recording which has been working fine for the past 2 years, however a couple nights ago... the screen just went black and the monitor stopped receiving signals from the comptuer. I restarted and everything was fine until it opened up windows, after which the screen went blank again. I booted it up in safe mode, backed up my stuff, then reformated the hard drive and reinstalled windows (xp pro) But once it was installed, as i was installing my drivers, the same thing happened again. Soon after several restarts it would go blank immediately after the welcome screen but the Windows welcome chimes would still play and the computer was runnning, i just couldnt see anything. I know the computer was running because i was able to shut it down using keyboard shortcuts. I did a RAM test and everything checked out so now i think it is either: my video card, my motherboard, or my power supply.

Here's my specs:

Athlon64 3200
Chaintech VNF3-250 (Nvidia Nforce3 chipset)
ATI RADEON 9200 video card
1 gig DRAM
Antec 350watt power supply.

What do you guys think? this is driving me crazy. thanks

thanks for the help guys, I swapped out the vid card out of an older computer of mine and now the machine is running fine... I guess that was the culprit.

glad to have this figured out, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back