Screen resolution not fullscreen

Ryan O'Brien

My monitor is native 1920 x 1080. When I try to set my monitor to that resolution, it won't go full screen. It won't stretch to the full screen, it's like pulled in together. This still happens after I did a system restore ( to factory settings ). Any ideas?? Thanks.

A picture (even a cell phone pic) might help with this, but it sounds like you may be hooking up via HDMI and are having some underscan issues. It would be nice if you include your video hardware as well. Also, let us know what version of video driver you are currently using.

Right, the cable your using is VGA connected to your IO panel. Also noticed you have the ability to use both DVI (Rectangular white connector) or HDMI (Directly to the right of the previous DVI connector) If you monitor has either I would recommend either option for better picture quality and ease of use.

Now if you want to use your current VGA cable you might have to force the resolution you require (If this is possible), I'm going to assume 1920x1080 doesn't show up in the drop down box for screen resolution (Correct me if I'm wrong) Chances are the VGA port won't be able to run the resolution your looking for, at which point either a DVI or HDMI cable will be required.

Ive had my monitor plugged in this way the whole time I've had it, like 6 months. also I can access 1920 x 1080, but it wont stretch out. kinda hard to see in this picture but you can see the basic idea

Attachments

• securedownload[1].jpg
    securedownload[1].jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 8
Okay, that is good to know, has the cable been unplugged recently, either on purpose or by accident. I ask because its possible the pins aren't making complete contact, this happens if a pin gets damaged from incorrect insertion or even if it was dropped and hit something the wrong way. Is it possible to test with another cable? Hardware wise the next thing to fail is the on board video or the monitor itself. Can the screen be tested on another device, and the computer with another screen? Then there's software, you've already tried a system restore, the next thing would be remove the current drivers and reinstall.

What is the make and model of your computer? Sound s like you need to go to the manufacture web site. Then download the drivers for your video card. Plus your chip set drivers.

Do the drivers automatically reinstall if I were to remove them and restart the computer?
If you uninstall using Device Manager, the driver is uninstalled but the installation files aren't deleted. Thus, Windows can (and will) reinstall the driver when you reboot using the installation files it finds

To both uninstall AND delete installation files, look in Ctl Panel->Add/Remove programs for the video entry. Uninstall from there if you want to both uninstall and delete all the files

I apologize for not posting in a while, but I've used an HDMI cable, and it fixed the problem. I believe the problem was because the VGA cable is messed up. I'm ordering a couple from ebay now, thanks everyone. ;)

Thtat,s tundefinedh answer

en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/p/19317341/19638525.aspx

Back