Screensaver/display not working in Windows 7

hitech0101

Screensaver & display turn off not working in win7 tried with blank screensaver, no screensaver different time settings for screensaver & display turn off nothing seems to work.

So, just to clarify, no matter what settings you use the computer will never go to the screensaver or turn the display off? have I got this correct?

Have you got MagicJack plugged into your PC?

What version of Windows 7 do you have, is it and RC version?

Have you got Automatic Update turned on?

Yes you got it correct.

No magic jack.

Windows 7 ultimate.

Automatic updates are on.

Tried to Google the problem, seems to exist for some users but no proper solution is available for me.
Thanks.

This solution looks encouraging:

Go to All Programs, then to Windows Update. Click on the link "Review optional updates". Then select "Microsoft HID non-user input data filter". Install this update.

See if that works, if not, do you have a wireless mouse? These have been reported to stop the system going to screensaver, try unplugging it to see if it then goes to screen saver.

I don't have that update in optional update.I am not using a wireless mouse. I am using a microsoft USB mouse, I tried disconnecting mouse & keyboard yet the screensaver does not work, I installed MS intellipoint for mouse & keyboard with same results. I am able to see the preview of the screensaver but it never turns on.

Thanks for staying with me.

Disconnected all devices to the computer including mouse/keyboard the screensaver still doesn't work don't know what to do now.
Checked the task manager it does show cpu usage 0% & there are a few processes running no applications though.

Also tried closing programs which were running when PC boots up like antivirus/winamp etc.
Still nothing.

OK, so did you download the update from the link I gave?

Please try not to miss any questions I ask, I enjoy helping but it gets a bit tedious having to keep repeating questions:).

You missed this one from earlier.

What version of Windows 7 do you have, is it the RC version? It's the RC bit I need to know as the RC version apparently had an issue with the screensaver and power options. RC stands for release candidate and would have been released before the official release.

@hitech0101
Go to
Control Panel -->Power Options
Which is your preffered plan? Balanced ? High Performance?
You can check and click .....change the plan settings (right to your preffered plan)

Then click ...... Change advanced power settings

OK, so did you download the update from the link I gave?

Please try not to miss any questions I ask, I enjoy helping but it gets a bit tedious having to keep repeating questions:).

You missed this one from earlier.

What version of Windows 7 do you have, is it the RC version? It's the RC bit I need to know as the RC version apparently had an issue with the screensaver and power options. RC stands for release candidate and would have been released before the official release.

I downloaded the link you gave me.I clicked on win7 ->add to basket ->download.It me a rar file I extracted it but i did not know what to do further there were a few files like .dll,.sys etc.The mentioned architecture in the text file was 32bit but i am using 64 bit.So i stopped there,sorry should have told you about it.

The version is an official release it is not RC candidate.

@greypigeon
I am now currently using balanced power plan.I checked the advanced power options the sleep & display options are same as the time i set.Is there anything else I should be looking for there?

Thanks for helping guys.

I downloaded the link you gave me.I clicked on win7 ->add to basket ->download.It me a rar file I extracted it but i did not know what to do further there were a few files like .dll,.sys etc.The mentioned architecture in the text file was 32bit but i am using 64 bit.So i stopped there,sorry should have told you about it.

The version is an official release it is not RC candidate.

Sorry about that link, but you did not tell me you had 64bit so I assumed you had 32bit. I've just tried to go back to the site but it is showing an error on the page, maybe being updated.

Now I know what version of Windows 7 you have there seems to be no reasonable explanation for your power options to malfunction although they appear to have been disabled. This suggests some corruption in the registry, possibly Malware. Have you run any registry cleaners?, if so don't use them again they can do more harm than good. What anti virus are you running?

I have three more suggestions.

1. Download and burn this to a CD and then boot the PC with it to scan for infections. All the instructions are on the web page.

http://redirectingat.com/?id=951X49...http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic160478-2.html

2. Click on Start, Type cmd in the box, in the pop up, right click on cmd and select "Run as Administrator". A black box will open, type in sfc /scannow exactly as typed here, and then hit Enter. You will most probably be asked to insert the Win7 disc. Check out the screensaver, etc, after this has completed. It will give an indication that files have been replaced if it finds any errors.

3. The final method prior to considering a clean install is to run a Repair install, in windows 7 this is called an Upgrade. This unfortunately will wipe out all updates that you have downloaded for Windows.

Follow this guide:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

One last solution I have just found which is worth considering before doing a full reinstallation. (Probably a shot in the dark but you never know your luck)

Go to Control Panel then Device Manager. Look down the list of devices and click on the > next to Human Interface Devices. Right click on all of the devices one at a time and select "Update Driver Software" then select "Search Automatically for updated Software" if the driver I suggested earlier is not installed this search should install for one of the devices. This issue with HID compliant devices, normally relating to wireless mouse and/or keyboard (which I know you do not have), seems to be the most common cause for the power options and screensaver to be disabled.

One thing I never did ask, when did this start to happen, was it sudden, did you install, uninstall, run any kind of scanner/cleaner or did you change anything just before this error started???

Sorry about that link, but you did not tell me you had 64bit so I assumed you had 32bit. I've just tried to go back to the site but it is showing an error on the page, maybe being updated.

Now I know what version of Windows 7 you have there seems to be no reasonable explanation for your power options to malfunction although they appear to have been disabled. This suggests some corruption in the registry, possibly Malware. Have you run any registry cleaners?, if so don't use them again they can do more harm than good. What anti virus are you running?

I have three more suggestions.

1. Download and burn this to a CD and then boot the PC with it to scan for infections. All the instructions are on the web page.

http://redirectingat.com/?id=951X49...http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic160478-2.html

2. Click on Start, Type cmd in the box, in the pop up, right click on cmd and select "Run as Administrator". A black box will open, type in sfc /scannow exactly as typed here, and then hit Enter. You will most probably be asked to insert the Win7 disc. Check out the screensaver, etc, after this has completed. It will give an indication that files have been replaced if it finds any errors.

3. The final method prior to considering a clean install is to run a Repair install, in windows 7 this is called an Upgrade. This unfortunately will wipe out all updates that you have downloaded for Windows.

Follow this guide:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

I am using avast antivirus, I am currently doing the second option you gave me but it did not ask for the disc it does mention that "corrupt files are found but windows is unable to fix them".

The first option well i think it won't be necessary because everything else seems to be working fine.

The third option well i do not want to go for it because i have downloaded too many updates & my internet bandwidth is limited so downloading all of them again will not be possible.

This problem has existed ever since win7 was installed also I am not using any registry cleaners.

The last solution you gave me i tried updating the driver it says its up to date.

Thanks for your patience & help really appreciate it.

The powerplan was just to check your settings.
Did you install the latest drivers for your mouse/keyboard from:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/downloads

Can't you find any clue in the energy report?
From a CMD , type powercfg /energy

The drivers are latest the power report game a lot of errors one was a process called RasMan prevents computer from going to sleep I am guessing this could be the reason.The other errors were same "USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend" for many devices also got a few warnings.

What to do with the RasMan process?
Thanks for helping.

Rasman -----Remote Access Connection Manager.

Stop the service and check and if it helps?
Start-->Run--type services.msc (or from CMD window)
Scroll down and double-click "Remote Access Connection Manager."
Click the down arrow next to "Startup Type:" and select "Disabled." Click "Stop" under the Service Status heading.
Click "Apply," "OK." Remote Access Connection Manager is now disabled
Restart PC and ??

And as you told before
"corrupt files are found but windows is unable to fix them".

The first option well i think it won't be necessary because everything else seems to be working fine.

SOLVE that issue!!!

CHECK your PC for malware!
Spybot Search and Destroy
Malwarebytes
You'll find the software in Google !

Use this guide to try and find what files, if any, are reported in the log as not repaired during your run of sfc /scannow. This says its for Vista but it is also good for windows 7.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

Report back if you find any and I'll give the procedure for replacing them from the disk.

I agree with Greypigeon that this may be a sign of a virus which I had mentioned earlier, running the downloaded rescue disc I gave the link for earlier (1. post 14) is one of the best ways to find a virus as the hard drive is not in use during the scan, this leaves any virus wide open to detection and removal.

First though, I would try and find what SFC reported.

This taking some time but I am sure between us we can crack this one.

It may also be worth following this guide to check your hard drive for bad sectors and file errors.

1. Press Start > type cmd in the search box. A box will open with CMD at the top, right click on it and select run as administrator. Another box will open, at the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press enter. (Note the gap between the k and the /)

2.Check disk will start to run but then it will say:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) Type Y for yes, and press enter. Then reboot the computer into normal mode. Chkdsk will start when Windows begins loading again. Let all 5 phases run and don't use or turn off the computer. (The chkdsk process may take an hour or more to finish.)

3.Chkdsk finds any corrupted files that are causing the problem and fixes them. Read the results of each phase as it finishes. During the final phase, it will notify you if it finds any corrupted files.

4.When the Check Disk is done, it will finish loading Windows.

Let us know what happens.

Did everything ran chkdsk it did a scan after restart but did not find any errors same with malware bytes scanned no errors & same with avg.
Also tried stopping the process RasMan it did not do any good either, probably will have to do a repair install to fix those corrupt files I did try to find how to repair it manually but its way too lengthy to replace each system file & I don't replace those files because it might do some damage & its kinda risky.

I exactly don't know how to read these logs but the log is a massive 9.7MB I searched for the word repair well there were way too many places where i found it so i guess many files.

Thanks for helping guyz.

The words you need to find are "cannot repair". There may be additional logs in that file so you could try deleting the log and then running sfc again. There is some way of isolating the lines with cannot repair in them which I read about somewhere I'll try to find it again.

"iassdo.dll.mui" This is the file that has gone corrupt has this anything to do with screensaver/display turn off should i replace it?

Back