TechSpot

screwed my registry

By wrofl
Nov 14, 2005
  1. I read a tutorial on changing the start menu text with reshacker and regedit. I followed it exactly, including backing up the explorer.exe and the registry.

What I did was make a copy of explorer.exe, edit that with reshacker & changed the start menu text.
    Then I changed the registry so the shell, instead of being explorer.exe was now the edited copy I made of it.

Well anyway, it boots up fine, gets to the list of accounts. Now here's where the problem occurs. I open an account, it gets to the background with no icons. Then just hangs. If I boot in safe-mode it just goes to a black screen.

:(

2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Perhaps you can fix the situation from recovery console. See the sticky threads on this forum how to get there if you don't already know.

3. wrofl

wrofl TS Rookie Topic Starter

haha

Nvm, I just remembered what explorer.exe actually is.

It's just the graphical interface. or something, meaning just the start menu and icons weren't showing. Right?

So I just used the taskmgr to go to regedit and the windows folder to fix everything.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.