TechSpot

Screwed Up Alignment of SSD; Can I Ghost, Re-Align, Restore?

By Savage1701
Oct 21, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. OK, I was being careless and formatted an SSD under XP. I then installed Windows 7 Pro 64. My offset is 63. I know I am not aligned. Any method of alignment test says I am not, and I don't want to burn up my SSD.

My question is can I re-align without re-installing Windows 7? I have a bunch of stuff transferred/installed/licensed and I don't want to do a clean install.

Will the following work:

1. Run Norton Ghost and get a disk image.
    2. Re-format the SSD under another Win7 computer and format with correct offset.
    3. Restore backup image to correctly aligned SSD.

Any thoughts on that?

I really messed this up.

Thanks for any thoughts.
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,971   +1,486

What? I'm confused!
    JC713 likes this.
  3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,942   +899

cliffordcooley likes this.
  4. Savage1701

Savage1701 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 279

JC713 - Yes, I know I am not aligned with an offset of 63. I have seen that article; it was part of the basis for my knowing I am not aligned. My question is, can I Ghost the C drive, re-format the SSD on a Win 7 machine where I know it will be aligned, and Ghost the C drive back and have it re-aligned correctly, or do I need to pay $30, which I would, for Paragon Alignment Tool?

Reinstalling Win 7 is not really an option at this point, due to other software having to be installed and re-licensed and such.
  5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,942   +899

I am not really sure. Maybe jobeard may know.
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,971   +1,486

I'm not either. I don't see why you couldn't, but then I never have needed to do this myself.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.