TechSpot

Screwed up boot Windows 7

By GoRockYerself
Nov 17, 2009
  1. I upgraded to Windows 7 the other day from XP, and yesterday decided to get rid of my boot menu prompt on startup. I went to start up this morning and got :

File \$WIN_NT$.`BT\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded.
    The error code is 14

I have tried using the installation disk to fix it. The startup repair tool says there is nothing wrong. I tried system recovery to before I changed the setting to no avail. I have also tried resetting my BIOS to default.

2. GoRockYerself

GoRockYerself TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

Is there a way to get to the boot menu from the command prompt on the installation disk? Everything was working fine, until I removed the boot menu.

3. GoRockYerself

So much for system restore working. I reverted it to before I changed the system startup option, and am still getting the error.
    Any ideas?

4. GoRockYerself

FIXED

On the Windows 7 disk, under command prompt I went to bcedit, and added a value to the timeout. I could then get to my boot menu again, and start Windows 7. Now if only I can figure out how to get rid of the boot menu's autoload without this happening again.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.