Screwy network issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am the poor guy who got stuck trying to solve this issue at our small business.

We have several pc's on a network to a server. All are Win XP Pro. One pc is having issues all the sudden. I can go to the internet. I can click on my computor and see the drives to the server. However, when I to to my network connections there is nothing there. We have a inventory control software that uses this to connect/see it's files on the server. Since there are no connections visible it errors. I was told it was a connection issue, but since I can go out to the internet, and can use short cuts to files on the server, I just don't see this being the case. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

can you navigate thru View Entire Network->Ms Windows Network->Workgroups
to see the other computers (and yourself) ?

Bodri said:
I am the poor guy who got stuck trying to solve this issue at our small business.

We have several pc's on a network to a server. All are Win XP Pro. One pc is having issues all the sudden. I can go to the internet. I can click on my computor and see the drives to the server. However, when I to to my network connections there is nothing there. We have a inventory control software that uses this to connect/see it's files on the server. Since there are no connections visible it errors. I was told it was a connection issue, but since I can go out to the internet, and can use short cuts to files on the server, I just don't see this being the case. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Un-join the computer for workgroup or domain : example name: ournet

if workgroup: ournet change to workgroup then reboot the PC
When you log in back re-join the PC back to the workgroup or domain name: ournet.

XP SP3 will fix this issue, but be warned that installing SP3 will give you Vista Security Features so, might not be a good idea to install. I ran into some issues with my network here.

Yes did you install SP3? There are some issues with it with 3rd Party Software Servers, well until they figure that one out I will hold off using it. Now if you install it and uninstall it the MMC gets corrupted under SP2.

jobeard

yes I can go out to my server via that, or I can see what are labeled as other drives but are really locals on the server. I am confident I have connection, and can see the server except via the network listing. Now the latest is this comes and goes. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. But, when I can't see the network, I can still go to the server by other means. I.E. the short cuts to items saved on the server.

BTW, we are still using XP Pro SP 2.

jobeard said:

Kind of dangerous program to use their Jobeard also like the WinSock or TCP/FIx tools. They can change TCP/IP services and protocols back to the default. Could be the MASTER BROWSER problem. I'll start a thread on that one..

tipstir said:
Kind of dangerous program to use their Jobeard also like the WinSock or TCP/FIx tools. They can change TCP/IP services and protocols back to the default. Could be the MASTER BROWSER problem. I'll start a thread on that one..
which was the object of the reference. Anything that gets deleted can always be acquired again :)

Well yeah but TCP/IP XP2 Fix would need to be re-installed or anything that is needed to bring up the connections again. But I guess..

these are Winsock additions, not requirements.

I don't believe SP2 would need reinstall nor would connections be impossible without them.

Winsock addons are hooks to TCP, not tcp itself and should therefore make connections just fine.
A third party firewall or an AV program might need to be adjusted however

fixnic2008.zip

Here's something I had put together with all the flush and dbase fixes NIC. This will also reset your TCP/IP settings and place them into a log files C:\resetlog.txt If you used any third party programs like TCP Optimizer, TCP Dr an etc.. You can then use them to apply your settings again. I've added a lite version along with a pro see below.. Readme_fixnic.txt is included.

fixnic_lite.cmd - cleans, flushes and fixes only..
fixnic_pro.cmd - does all of the above but this will completed restore all settings that were used with TCP Optimizer and TCP Dr. an etc.

Well, we've come to the temporary conclusion it's a software issue with the mrp software we run. EVERYTHING else that we have tried that communicates with the server works. We ran a ping in the back ground set to continue until told to stop, ran the mrp software, had the same problem, jumped back to the ping report and saw no errors. I think that there must be a currupted file or something like that going on. Thanks for all the help. I will post if this works.

might like to add
net stop "DNS Client"
net start "DNS Client"​
to avoid a reboot to feel the effect of the /flushdns :)

DNS Error you should try:

start - run
run - cmd
cmd - type: cmd

REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache /V Start /T REG_DWORD /F /D 2

Wait for Okay

Reboot the system - Try it again with the flush this is another way to do it...

yea that will work, but ANY typo throws the setting elsewhere and the effect is missing,
but the user doesn't see the error

using
net stop "DNS Client"
net start "DNS Client"​

is much more clear and not error prone :)

If you copy and past you won't have that problem to retype, but Yes you can create a cmd for that net stop and net start so I say every PC should have it on the desktop. Or it can be added to the task scheduler. If you need to go that path..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back