SCSI 15,000 RPM HDs

By XtR-X
Jun 4, 2003
  1. Does anyone have any info on the SCSI 15,000 RPM HDs?

I heard they need a controler on top of the HD. But new motherboards come with the ability to support SCSI, right.....?

I haven't found any official OEM specs but I'm not going to goooooooooogle to page 100.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 621

Yes, SCSI drives need a SCSI controller. No, most motherboards, except for expensive server motherboards, don't come with SCSI controllers on board.

Some of the new motherboards come with serial ATA controllers (SATA). With a 10,000 RPM Western Digital Raptor drive you will approach the performance of SCSI at a cost somehat lower. I use my onboard SATA and two Raptors in RAID0 and am very pleased with the performance. (112/100 MB/s R/W speed in Atto, 67 MB/s in Sandra, 63 MB/s average read and 8.5 ms random seek time in HDtach)
  3. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,350

Wow... 15,000 RPM.. can we say Jet engine ? That is pretty fast. I would bolt that sucker down good cause your computer might take off through the roof.
  4. XtR-X

XtR-X TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 863

I'm getting it because there is no point in getting an ultra fast comp and everything has to run at the speed of the 7200RPM HD.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.